Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

My Build Thread (Big Red)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Build Thread (Big Red)

I haven't posted much on this forum, but I've used the site for help on many occasions and have almost always found what i was looking for. I figured it was time for me to start contributing, so here it goes.

I have a 1995 F-150 XLT Supercab Short Box. It wasn't much to look at when i first got it, especially the faded pink color. I got an awesome deal on it, got it to the farm, and got to work. I don't have time to write up all of my progress so far right now, so i'll separate it into a few posts. Here's the stock pictures for now.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:04 PM

Alright everybody, I'm back. Here's a little more background info. I'm a highschool student, so money isn't exactly flowing in right now. Although my truck might not be the nicest one around, I'm proud of it because every cent that was spent on this truck was out of my own pocket. Now that that's out of the way, i'll start off the build process. My hood was a bit bent and dented, and my driver's side fender had some rust and a few dings. Dents can be fixed, but me and rust don't get along. I ordered a new fender and hood and got to work.
Since they're aftermarket parts, they took a little bit of work to make them look right and line up. After a few hours of arguing with some buddies about the alignment, I was happy with the end product and called it a night. It was almost time to start sanding away at the old paint.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:25 PM

My dad (who has worked in autobody for his whole life) and I started to get some sanding and filling done. At this point, I'm regretting that I didn't snap some more "before pictures". The body was not pretty. One of the taillight holes was smashed in like the PO had backed into a tree, and there were gouges from a grinder all over both sides of the cab. Instead of peeling the old company name sticker off of the truck, they must have thought it was a good idea to grind it off. Whatever though, we got the job done. Here's the pictures from throughout the sanding process. Sorry if I'm boring anyone reading through this, but it gets better. Just be patient lol.
All done sanding for now. Now it's time to tape off the windows (getting a new windshield) for primer.
And here's the first layer of primer!
Old 06-11-2012, 09:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looking good keep up the good work
Old 06-11-2012, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by jstuhlman
looking good keep up the good work
Thanks
Old 06-11-2012, 09:56 PM

The next step was to get started on the bed.

Once we got it off, we finished up sanding and filling it.

Like I had mentioned before, me and rust DO NOT get along . This was the only spot of rust left on the truck, and it had to go. We grinded it out, making sure there wasn't any more so that it couldn't spread. We filled the hole that we grinded open by welding it. Then we grinded the excess weld, filled it and sanded it, and it was shaped like it had just come off the assembly line.

This is the crushed taillight hole I mentioned earlier, except it's not so crushed anymore.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:02 PM

Here's a little preview of the new paint color

Old 06-11-2012, 10:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn! There's some pretty serious work happening over there!
Old 06-11-2012, 10:36 PM

man thats a good looking color there! good job on the build. its looking real good.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:42 PM

I got a new dash out of a parts truck, and let me tell you..taking out/putting in a dash in these trucks is not an easy job. Here's the old dash all stripped down and ready to be taken out.

About 100 bolts later, the dash is finally coming out.

This is the new dash.

Quick Reply: My Build Thread (Big Red)