Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

My 96 F150

Old 01-15-2019, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 96 F150

So after selling my beautiful 2012 XLT to FX4 Conversion and regretting that to today Im finally back to a F-150! Recently feel in love with old trucks so i went with a very clean 1996 F-150 XL 2WD.
I know im gonna get some hate but hey my truck my money I plan on doing a 6 Inch with 33's or 35's. Here is what it was when i bought to now so far! I want to restore it to its original shape and drive it for a long time i hope! Maybe even do a divorce transfer case and make a 4X4.

Day one after I got it.

Last week!
Old 01-16-2019, 10:57 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Originally Posted by Fran437
I know im gonna get some hate...
Why? Not likely here - we love these old trucks.
I plan on doing a 6 Inch with 33's or 35's.
That's a lot of lift for a 4WD; it's pointless for a 2WD. 33s fit with 0" lift; 35s only need a couple of inches. Lower is better, for many reasons.
I want to restore it to its original shape...
Why? There's plenty of room for improvement, and it generally costs less than finding old parts in decent condition. It also results in a more-comfortable & -reliable vehicle.
...drive it for a long time
Then you should NOT lift it any more than absolutely necessary to drive where you do.
Maybe even do a divorce transfer case and make a 4X4.
That would be a REALLY-complicated & expensive way to get 4WD. The best way is to sell the 2WD truck, and buy a similar 4WD.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:30 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Welcome to the forum! I see you have already met Steve83.

Think long and hard on the 4WD option - do you need 4x4? If not, it isn't worth it. Just more weight, more moving parts, more stuff to break. Lots of money better spent on other stuff.

33's DO NOT fit with 0" lift. Maaaybe if you got the perfect wheel and the right offset and you spaced your bumper out an inch or two. I have 32x11.5x15 on stock alcoa wheels on my truck, which is a 4x4 and leveled, and the tires will rub the radius arms at full lock.

I'll agree with Steve about the lifting - I've considered it several times but really, a good spring upgrade up front like the moog cc824 and a good alignment shop to dial it all in is the best option for these trucks. Most of the lift kits are cheap crap so unless you want to drop over 2k+ to do it right, don't waste your time.

We can suggest lots of other things if you let us know more about it - engine, tranny, etc. She's a sharp looking truck!
Old 01-16-2019, 06:45 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Originally Posted by BLDTruth
33's DO NOT fit with 0" lift.
Mine do. So do several other local trucks I've worked on & wheeled with.
Maaaybe if you got the perfect wheel and the right offset and you spaced your bumper out an inch or two.
So you're saying with 0" lift, they CAN fit.
...the tires will rub the radius arms at full lock.
A lift doesn't move the wheels away from the radius arms, and rubbing the radius arms doesn't hurt the tires or the arms.

Search this Thread