Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

milky oil cap - coolant oil head gasket issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 12:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default milky oil cap - coolant oil head gasket issue?

Here's what I see:
1990 F150 V8 302 with 175k
Under the hood near the coolant reservoir I see splatterings of coolant under the reservoir. I thought it was a crack in the reservoir, but traced it to the oil cap ventilation tube. Seems that coolant is coming up through that tube, into the air filter and then leaking out. I opened the oil cap and there is white frothy looking stuff.

The oil in the dipstick looks fine and I don't see any increase in oil level through time. Truck drives fine and has power. I'm not sure how much radiator fluid I go through since I just changed the radiator and haven't monitored levels since.

Maybe related: if I drive for while (30 minutes highway speed), then stop at a stop light, the oil pressure indicator drops (dummy gauge) and hovers low until I either put it in park, or accelerate.

It is below freezing now in my area.

Questions:
1) is it a blown head gasket?
2) how long can I drive it without having a major breakdown on the highway?
Old 11-15-2010, 01:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the milky junk is only contained to the oil filler cap than the most likely cause is condensation. Check you pvc valve and make sure that the filter on the end of the breather cap is in good condition. Do you loose coolant if you do how quickly does it leak out? Do you end up with the truck bubbling into the coolant tank?
Old 11-15-2010, 04:16 PM

Make sure you warm it up. or at least let it reach operating temps before stutting it down. I bet you do short trips.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:30 PM

To answer some of those questions:
1) yes, mostly short trips < 3 miles. I do let the truck warm up before I drive it. I sit in the car and let the truck run through its cycle before it settles down to a lower rpm. Takes maybe 2 minutes.

2) The PCV valve is new and I changed the old breather filter because the old one was nasty. I'll look again, but I'm on travel right now (truck is sitting at airport). The thermostat is new too.

3) There is no bubbling in the coolant reservoir. I've watched very closely and at various times.

4) the coolant temperature gauge never goes to the middle...it stays on the low end of normal. I've only had the truck for two months, so I don't know what 'normal' is.

Why does condensation happen? Is it a problem, what does it mean? and should I worry about it?

Again, the oil in the dipstick is fine. I'm not looking for extra work (i.e., changing intake or head gasskets), but don't want to blow an engine on a rookie move
Old 11-15-2010, 11:15 PM

i drive a 91 with a 5.o and my normal operation temp is just over the n
Old 11-15-2010, 11:50 PM

Might need a new thermostat. id start there. if it cant run at normal temps it cant burn off moisture. clean off all that junk and throw in a stock temp thermostat and dont worry about damage, it is not a big deal. if corrected i should say. you could even run a oil system flush additive before you change your oil next time. just read directions and follow them.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:15 AM

Thanks folks,

Looks like condensation. I took a chance and drove it over 200 miles on the highway past couple of days and not much condensation anymore. The Coolant reservoir is full (so is the radiator),so I'm not loosing much/any coolant. The spray that came out of the oil cap breather tube was a very oily watery mix, so it may not be much coolant after all. I'm gonna keep watching levels, dry out all the condensation from the air filter area and hope for the best. Maybe change the oil sooner than later just be be safe.

Thanks for the help
Old 06-19-2018, 10:40 AM

Received 6,477 Likes on 4,613 Posts

Stupid "RELATED THREAD" stuff really sucks.... post was not intended for this thread.
The following users liked this post:
Stang0ne50 (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 09:04 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Originally Posted by white89gt
Stupid "RELATED THREAD" stuff really sucks...
I agree - it's VERY annoying. I wish there was a setting to turn that crap off.

Quick Reply: milky oil cap - coolant oil head gasket issue?