Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Looking for a little more power? EFI to carb done already

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 09:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for a little more power? EFI to carb done already

I have an 88 f150 reg cab short bed 4x4 33in tires 4speed with 3.55. has a 302 that I have done a complete rebuild and EFI to carb. It's pretty strong a lot more torquey than what it was with efi. Just want a little more power. Don't want to regear due to having the 4 speed and I don't want to swap to a 5speed I love my granny gear and having the heavy duty 4 speed for when I do pull with it.

Parts:
Edelbrock performer intake (dual plane)
Edelbrock 1406 600cfm 4 barrel
Mild flat tappet cam (.498 lift intake and exhaust, 110 lobe separation. 282/282 duration)
Stock e7 heads (lapped valves)
Stock bore
Stock exhaust Manifolds
true dual exhaust with a 2in/2out flowmaster 10

I'm thinking about a set of shorty headers(don't want long tubes).
What hp should I see with these upgrades?
is there anything else y'all can think of to get more power? Without dumping a pile more money in it.

Thanks.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:35 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Your best bolt on options are a good set of heads and headers.

They did make a small block ZF5 that has a 5.72:1 granny first gear with a second gear that is still better then the first gear in an automatic. I'm about to swap out my M5OD and see how it behaves.

Other than that I would highly highly highly recommend re-gearing to 4.10's. Especially with 33's. Hell I have 32's and 4:10's are definitely in my future.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting what all is required to eliminate efi, and whatever other electronics possible. How to take a 1994 5.0l to dinosaur state of carb, ignition, etc.? Would this cause too many other issues? Thinking if/when I go to rebuilt engine migrate to a 1960's era technology.

If this has been discussed directions are appreciated.

Lobo
Old 05-19-2017, 04:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

carburator and a 302 intake for a carburetor of course
Fuel pressure regulator with a return port and associated fittings and hoses to hook back into your EFI fuel lines. Or you can remove the fuel pumps and put a piece of tubing on the fuel pickup in place of fuel pump. And put an external pump on the frame for a carb.
you will either need an HEI or a Ford duraspark or similar setup. Make sure whatever distributor you get has a cast iron gear or you will destroy your cam gear.
You have to some how block the egr ports on the back of the heads. I took the original tubes cut the and sealed them off and reinstalled them.
You will have to wire the fuel pump to and 12v ignition wire. Can't think of anything else at the moment.
The following users liked this post:
Michael Lopez (05-19-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW when I had my rear tank out I tested the pump using two wire leads & a spare 12v battery. I did this to insure operation before installing the rear tank and to lighten the tank of 5 gal. of fuel. Not a terrible job from below IMO had the PO not had "custom" exhaust installed. Custom meaning below and narrower than the tank. I chose then to reroute both exhaust pipes to the passenger side (removes heat source from fuel lines).

HTH