Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

looking for a 96 or older truck...whats the best to add performance to?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for a 96 or older truck...whats the best to add performance to?

I am looking to purchase a 96 or older F150-250 4x4 extended cab in the near future. I have a Mustang racecar with a built 408 that i want to de-cam and put into the truck of choice to tow my car with. Mmmm, torque!

I want to know what year/engine would be best as my starting point. I would prefer MAF. what year did that start in? I want the strongest trans or cheapest to build to make strong. I want the most brakes possible. I want the best interior amenities. Do i really need to start with a 5.8 truck to put the 5.8 block into it or is a 5.0 engine bay gonna swallow the 408 without moving stuff or new accessory brackets, etc. I would also like to know if OBD I or II would be better to get the sucker to pass emissions. Also, what year OBD II started.

I don't see myself doing much 4x4ing if at all, but a tough suspension and driveline would be nice too.

I really want to know what the pitfalls are so i can avoid them.

Also, would 351 swap Mustang headers fit in the truck? I would like to use the headers I have already if possible. If not, are 1 3/4 primary headers available for the F series? I don't want to choke off power with the 1 5/8 jobbies i have seen so far.

thanks in advance!
Old 12-09-2009, 09:27 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mustang-madness
I am looking to purchase a 96 or older F150-250 4x4 extended cab in the near future. I have a Mustang racecar with a built 408 that i want to de-cam and put into the truck of choice to tow my car with. Mmmm, torque!

I want to know what year/engine would be best as my starting point. I would prefer MAF. what year did that start in? I want the strongest trans or cheapest to build to make strong. I want the most brakes possible. I want the best interior amenities. Do i really need to start with a 5.8 truck to put the 5.8 block into it or is a 5.0 engine bay gonna swallow the 408 without moving stuff or new accessory brackets, etc. I would also like to know if OBD I or II would be better to get the sucker to pass emissions. Also, what year OBD II started.

I don't see myself doing much 4x4ing if at all, but a tough suspension and driveline would be nice too.

I really want to know what the pitfalls are so i can avoid them.

Also, would 351 swap Mustang headers fit in the truck? I would like to use the headers I have already if possible. If not, are 1 3/4 primary headers available for the F series? I don't want to choke off power with the 1 5/8 jobbies i have seen so far.

thanks in advance!
Phew! WOW! I'm exhausted after reading that post. I think I counted 18,000 questions within 2 paragraphs!

Question #13,546 & #17,354 - What year/engine = best starting point & When did MAF start
Answer = 1994 was first year for MAF in F150's for sure - engine won't matter because you puttin' in a new one.

Question # 17,978 - Headers
Answer = Most Mustang headers should work - if your crammin' in an engine that's not supposed to be there, there's no reason you can't make the headers you want work as well.

Hopefully someone else can swing in here and pick up a few more answers for ya

Phew, my fingers are tired, I'm going to go rest them for a bit.

Welcome to the forums!
Old 12-10-2009, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good info to start with!

well, i'm not putting in an engine that doesn't belong there. its a 5.8 block stuffed with a 4" crank. so, externally, its the same as a 5.8L. I can't modify the headers as they are ceramic coated, so if they don't fit, they get sold.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:01 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

Question #13,546 & #17,354 - What year/engine = best starting point & When did MAF start
Answer = 1994 was first year for MAF in F150's for sure - engine won't matter because you puttin' in a new one.

For what it's worth, 94' was a transitional year for MAF. Although if it's licensing originated in Ca., it was MAF, There were some MAP's lurking in other parts of the country, at least til mid-year. So if that's an issue, do a visual check & don't assume.

Last edited by ymeski56; 12-10-2009 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by ymeski56
For what it's worth, 94' was a transitional year for MAF. Although if it's licensing originated in Ca., it was MAF, There were some MAP's lurking in other parts of the country, at least til mid-year. So if that's an issue, do a visual check & don't assume.

Oooooo, good save, good save!
Old 12-10-2009, 03:53 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by hackersmovie
Oooooo, good save, good save!
I'm saving "my" fingers for my next rant!
Old 12-10-2009, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by ymeski56
I'm saving "my" fingers for my next rant!
Touche' my friend, touche'....

Quick Reply: looking for a 96 or older truck...whats the best to add performance to?