Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Look what I got today

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 05:26 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Default Look what I got today

Damn it's hot. I work hard, I feel I deserve a/c. But my truck is a heat only truck, came from Jersey. Well this holiday weekend is half price weekend at LKQ so I decided to get this:

I think this is everything to swap a/c into my non-a/c truck. I say I think because I'm assuming everything under the dash is the same for both and since some of the a/c harness is under the hood I think the rest for under the dash is there. I'm going to check here in a few, might even start putting it on. Got it all for $105, but I could get money back for my cores if I had cores.

My original plan was to use the system from a '95-'96 since it's designed for 134a freon already, but there wasn't one there and this will make it a simple bolt on deal for my '87. I can't wait, my old a/c just wasn't cutting it anymore (top center):

Old 05-29-2011, 05:30 PM
No One

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats man. Post some pics of the install and it working bro.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:04 PM
Just call me sean. Really

Received 153 Likes on 106 Posts

I was so tempted to go pull some stuff this weekend. I think it's still half price tomorrow so I'll find something I need haha
Old 05-29-2011, 06:14 PM
We'd do it

Yes still half price tomorrow. I checked the main pass through harness and it's there too. Found the power window and lock harness too. Last to check is the plug for the a\c button, and my underhood harness has an extra wire in the plug I have to find out what it's for but I don't think it will be an issue. I'll try to remember to take pictures as I do it.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:13 PM
We'd do it

Installed the controls. Here you can see the minor differences, just extra writing on one switch and the a/c button:

The plug for the button was in there, tucked away on a non-a/c plug holder bracket. It lights up and the fan still works, the controls are cable so they work. But the a/c button isn't lighting up yet, probably because the rest isn't installed. My wiring diagrams don't have the a/c system for me to see the circuit, so if anyone has those diagrams it would be helpful.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:08 PM
Hi-Rev Motorsports

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

totally watching this thread. I want to know how it turns out

thats dedication man
Old 05-30-2011, 12:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Sean, if you want or need any pictures at all of how the AC setup looks in the engine, just tell me and I'll upload pictures of whatever for you.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:25 AM
lost my Car again...

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Sweet thread I want ac to on my truck Ive heard that there's a dealer installed a/c for the 1994s so it makes it easy (i hope) I'm following this thread to see what i need to do!
Old 05-30-2011, 05:26 AM
We'd do it

I've looked under the hoods of quite a few of these things today so I'm pretty familiar with how it all goes. I pulled parts from two trucks to get everything. The box (fan, accumulator, evaporator, resistor, partial harness) and the condenser came from a 5.0 truck and I found an I6 truck for the lines, compressor and smaller compressor bracket along with every bolt removed in the process. Different years have different diameter compressor bolts so I grabbed a set of each, but I also have both brackets (only difference is compressor bolt hole diameter).

The newer trucks are wired differently. Mine has the pass through harness, which looks like the pass through is for the compressor. I only looked at the newer trucks long enough to see they were different but they didn't look to have a pass through harness the way mine was. Should be pretty much the same though, box condenser compressor lines controls.

It's not so much dedication as much as it is that I really like my truck.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:36 AM
We'd do it

Forgot to mention, I also installed the condenser compressor and lines. I have the radiator out still because I want to fix the cracked shroud, which you would also need as the non a/c trucks have a crappier one. I got this one a while ago. I also had to fix the wiring harness across the radiator support before I put in the condenser, the wires were coming out of the loom thing and hanging low. I've got to figure out what to do with my belt too. Because of the smog pump delete there may be problems with that.

Quick Reply: Look what I got today