Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

A Little Louder Please =D

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Little Louder Please =D

I know there are topics like this on here but what i found isnt quite what im looking for.. i have a 96 f150 I6 2wd with factory exaust (single). it is obnoxiously quiet. i can put the pedal to the floor and the whole truck'll rock but theres barely any sound. what can i do, without spending a lot of money, to beef it up a little bit. to make her sound like a truck
Old 05-10-2011, 01:27 PM
grease monkey

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by the_breeze
I know there are topics like this on here but what i found isnt quite what im looking for.. i have a 96 f150 I6 2wd with factory exaust (single). it is obnoxiously quiet. i can put the pedal to the floor and the whole truck'll rock but theres barely any sound. what can i do, without spending a lot of money, to beef it up a little bit. to make her sound like a truck

buy a v8. haha just kidding man. ive heard of people dualling them out the back with flowmasters and getting ok sound but usually they sound like tractors..
Old 05-10-2011, 01:37 PM

Received 241 Likes on 174 Posts

Slide up under it and look at the muffler. If the muffler is clamped on, all you need to do is get a new louder muffler with the same measurements (length and pipe diameter) as the muffler that's currently on there.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:51 PM
grease monkey

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah but without welding its most likely going to leak and alter sound+smelly cab.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:29 PM
lost my Car again...

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

may i suggest a glass pack that's what i have and my neighbors know when I'm home but some states there not legal like mine but i have a spare that ti throw on for one day out of the year
Old 05-10-2011, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a rust hole in my pipe just behind my muffler. Doesn't come into the cab, but you can tell a difference in the sound. Makes a nice little rumble in 4th and 5th. But I would say order a Flowmaster 50 series from Summit and weld 'er up.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by the_breeze
Be careful what you want, you might get it . No kidding, before this truck I had a '92 S10 and the previous owner replaced the exhaust (it needed it). However he could only find one stainless steel exhaust that would fit it and the sonofabiach was "loud". You might think it was cool and all, but in all honesty, you got really tired of it pretty quickly. Sure, people would think it sounded great and all, but I was never happy with it. I even made a restrictor and installed it in the tip. It helped a lot.
You can prolly go to any muffler shop and they'll weld a glass pack type of muffler in there for relatively cheap price, but be prepared to hate it later
Old 05-10-2011, 08:14 PM

Received 241 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by ford_honda
yeah but without welding its most likely going to leak and alter sound+smelly cab.
Sometimes I think people don't know how to properly clamp things down so it doesn't come apart. My setup is clamped on and doesn't leak. Also, when it comes to the exhaust before and after the muffler, the length has to be correct and those exhaust pipes have to be secured as well.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:18 PM
lost my Car again...

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Talking

Originally Posted by blade z51
Be careful what you want, you might get it . No kidding, before this truck I had a '92 S10 and the previous owner replaced the exhaust (it needed it). However he could only find one stainless steel exhaust that would fit it and the sonofabiach was "loud". You might think it was cool and all, but in all honesty, you got really tired of it pretty quickly. Sure, people would think it sounded great and all, but I was never happy with it. I even made a restrictor and installed it in the tip. It helped a lot.
You can prolly go to any muffler shop and they'll weld a glass pack type of muffler in there for relatively cheap price, but be prepared to hate it later
i got a glass pack and I'm partially deaf so it don't bother me none. but its real loud when you get going
Old 05-10-2011, 11:17 PM
Just call me sean. Really

Received 153 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by ford_honda
buy a v8. haha just kidding man. ive heard of people dualling them out the back with flowmasters and getting ok sound but usually they sound like tractors..
Mucho truth the tractor statement. I like my exhaust, loud like I like and at idle (82db, louder than a new camry at full throttle) it's a little raspy but you can hear some lope to it so it sounds good to me. Gettin' on it aint no V8 but it's distinctive for sure

I suggest some form of chambered muffler, don't get a straight through style like a glass pack, you need those chambers to give it some sound apart from tractor

Quick Reply: A Little Louder Please =D