Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Leak Between Transmission and Transfer Case

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 10:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Leak Between Transmission and Transfer Case

I have a 1992 F150 that leaks fluid between the transmission and transfer case. E4OD transmission and Borg Warner 1356 T-case.

There is a paper gasket between the two units. My question though is where is this fluid from?
Is it from the trans it self? The T-case?
Old 09-23-2018, 12:15 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

The first question is: where is the fluid from? Is it actually coming from where you see it dripping? Or is it coming from somewhere forward of/above, and running/blowing back to that location? ATF is nearly invisible when it's in a slow-flowing trickle, so you have to look closely to find a trail. Look for a buildup of dust, possibly with a clean trail down the middle. Or WASH the underside thoroughly, go for a quick drive, and then inspect again while it's still running (or spinning the rear wheels on jack stands, WITH the front tires chocked securely).

If the fluid is actually leaking at that gasket, then it's from the trans. The back of the trans extension is open, but the t-case has a seal at the front. Have you checked BOTH fluid levels lately? Check the PSF, too, because it's actually ATF, and it's known to be a VERY leaky system.

(phone app link)
Old 09-23-2018, 12:27 PM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

When I had my Bronco, I mated the 2 with RTV and called it a day. Never had any leaks.

As stated above, there’s a few things it could be... It’s more than likely trans fluid as the tail housing is open for the Tcase to mate to.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:15 PM

It is definitely from between the t-case and trans. I throughly cleaned the area with compressed air, and paper towel before posting.

The t-case and trans fluid were changed just a month ago by myself using Mercon V bought at the ford dealer.
I have a leaking transmission at the pan gasket already so my question was to see if I had a leaking t-case as well.
It was a used transmission I installed a month ago and have tried 2 different transmission pan gaskets along with some rtv the second go around. Still leaks. I suspect a warped pan maybe.
It's less of a leak with the cork gasket and rtv but still not 100% leak free. I don't think I'll have time to get to repairing these leaks before winter so they will just have to ride and I will top off the trans fluid periodically.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:42 PM

I wouldn't use cork gaskets on a lawn mower - much less my truck.

The trans pan bolts are close enough together to overcome any warp that you CAN'T see. It would take a visible dent to cause a leak at a new Ford gasket. So I still have to think your leak is from somewhere else.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:54 PM

I'm positive it's the pan gasket. It's very visible at the seam of where the pan meets the bottom of the trans.
I can dry the seam with a paper towel and watch for a few minutes and it will begin to seep out.

This is a used trans I installed this summer but first had it gone over by a trans shop. they installed a new filter and new paper gasket too before giving it back to me.

I have heard the negativity about he cork gaskets but figured a paper gasket was leaking so mines well give cork a try + my original trans had a cork gasket and never leaked a drop. I did prep the gasket mating surface too as well with green scotch brite pads and brake cleaner.

If it's not a warped trans pan than I am stumped.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:14 PM

The correct gasket isn't paper, either. It's a silicone-clad steel frame. Ford revised it to a new reusable design that seals better.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/222182762427

The pan MIGHT also have been revised, so do a little research before buying.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:15 PM

Thanks Steve. I will definitely be looking into that. I want this fixed. Not only is it a pain to keep adding fluid I also imagine the trans is the picky-ist of all when it comes to its fluid level.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:53 AM

Yes, a severely-wrong fluid level (hi OR lo) can damage an auto trans quickly. But it was designed to tolerate slow leaks, and variations in fluid level, within reason.

When you have the pan down, I highly recommend adding a drain plug to it. Aftermarket kits are inexpensive & common. I've used this Dorman kit on several vehicles successfully:

(phone app link)

Last edited by Steve83; 09-25-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:52 PM

I was actually thinking the same thing. A drain plug would be handy. I may even get crazy and ad a trans temp gauge while I'm at it. Thank you again for all your help.

Quick Reply: Leak Between Transmission and Transfer Case