Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Junkyard motor swap question

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 01:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Junkyard motor swap question

The 302 in my truck is getting very tired and leaky. I has a horrible pan leak and either the intake or head gasket is bad. It really ain't worth fixing unless I do a full-rebuild. My local JY has a EFI 351, but I didn't get any other info on it. They can't even give me the mileage, but it was supposed to be running when they pulled it. They want $450 for it. I'm thinking I can talk them down and get some other parts thrown in. What would be a good price on this?
Old 06-14-2012, 02:04 PM
Off road rebel

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Offer 250 and tell them if they had more and better info from it, that you would have no problem paying a little more. But because they can't provide the much needed info, there's no guarantee that it's worth the asking price.
The following users liked this post:
81v (07-01-2013)
Old 06-14-2012, 02:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 94Brodyf150
Offer 250 and tell them if they had more and better info from it, that you would have no problem paying a little more. But because they can't provide the much needed info, there's no guarantee that it's worth the asking price.
i agree with no way of knowing if it will even run you might be buying a heavy expensive paperweight. i would look around and see if you can find one at a JY that is still in the truck so you can see how many miles it has and do a compression check on it. that will be the best way to go. or keep a eye out for a good deal in your local classifieds for a whole truck
Old 06-14-2012, 02:12 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Ask them if they will let you pull the plugs and inspect them and run a compersion test tha will tell you a lot about the condition but you still wont know any thing about the bottem end or oil pressure also put a mechanical oil gauge in while your cranking for compression test this will tell you that at least there is some oil presure
Old 06-14-2012, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by jstuhlman
i agree with no way of knowing if it will even run you might be buying a heavy expensive paperweight. i would look around and see if you can find one at a JY that is still in the truck so you can see how many miles it has and do a compression check on it. that will be the best way to go. or keep a eye out for a good deal in your local classifieds for a whole truck
-It's supposed to run, but there's no guarantee until it's in... it does come with a 30 day warranty.
-I'm looking, but this is basically the only yard that will pull parts for you that had the old stuff.

Originally Posted by bubbabud
Ask them if they will let you pull the plugs and inspect them and run a compersion test tha will tell you a lot about the condition but you still wont know any thing about the bottem end or oil pressure also put a mechanical oil gauge in while your cranking for compression test this will tell you that at least there is some oil presure
They should let me look it over. Wouldn't I have to take it somewhere for the compression test?

Around here, you're lucky to find a complete motor to rebuild for $150-200 range. The same yard wants $200 for another 351 to rebuild, but it's wiring harness is hacked up.

I totally agree with y'all though.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check with local parts store or harbor freight they all sell compression testers and its a easy way to get good info about what your buying. hope it works out for ya
Old 06-14-2012, 03:16 PM

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by jstuhlman
check with local parts store or harbor freight they all sell compression testers and its a easy way to get good info about what your buying. hope it works out for ya
If you can crank the motor, that will work, some places, you can even get them at wally mart, with the motor out and seperated from the tranny, its harder, but you could bolt up a bell housing flywheel and starter, and crank it over.
I would rather buy a runner , but you have to take what the local market has to offer,
Old 06-14-2012, 09:18 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

Junkyards generally don't sell bad motors. You have to have some trust where you buy. I pay around $300 for good junkyard motors.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Around me the junk yards want on average of about 350
Old 06-14-2012, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Just call me Sean
Junkyards generally don't sell bad motors. You have to have some trust where you buy. I pay around $300 for good junkyard motors.
But, do your junk yards have the mileage and what not listed?

Quick Reply: Junkyard motor swap question