Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

The infamous my f150 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The infamous my f150 won't start

Truck ran fine, parked in driveway and left running to go inside and grab coffee....came back outside and it was not runninf....here are the symptoms when trying to start ..

Turn key, no fuel pump prime.....no spark....

Put new fuel pump in....still same issue.....a mechanic friend of mine jumped a wire from the ECM module and grounded it and the fuel pump did what it's supposed to do when the key turns over. Fuel went to the rail but my plugs were dry and I still had no spark. Put the ECM back to normal with no jumper wire.....here's what I did since then.

New ECM module
New distributor rotar button
Put new Computer brain box in
Took all battery terminals off and cleaned terminals and cleaned all connecting battery wires around the battery to the little connection piece on the fender next to battery..(cannot think of the name of that unit)
Replaced the crash button reset kill switch to the fuel pump. (Can't think of what it's called either)
Replaced fuel pump just to make sure but I checked the old one and it ran fine when hot wired to a battery

I am getting to the point where I've put more money into it than it's worth but to me, it's worth a million bucks. I've had it since 96 and it's my baby. I don't want to junk it but I don't want to chase dollars after cents trying to find a solution.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:29 AM

Received 1,208 Likes on 969 Posts

this is very strange. i dont know where to start at this point. you probably already have at least 1500 in it
Old 11-16-2018, 03:33 PM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

I'll bite and give a thought to it. The repair attempt so far doesn't make sense. Why install a new fuel pump if there is also no spark? I think you'd be money ahead to have a shop diagnose the problem. My shot would be the main fuse/relay box as a starting point, definitely sounds electrical to me. Good luck.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by sdmartin65
I'll bite and give a thought to it. The repair attempt so far doesn't make sense. Why install a new fuel pump if there is also no spark? I think you'd be money ahead to have a shop diagnose the problem. My shot would be the main fuse/relay box as a starting point, definitely sounds electrical to me. Good luck.

I changed the fuel pump before i even realized I didn't have spark....I really am not mechanically inclined but I know enough to screw **** up and cause problems. I can change my oil and do my own brakes and minor repairs but trouble shooting is not my strong suit.

You are correct in that I should just get it to a shop and let them diagnose it....I just like working on my own truck when I can. But I think I met my match on this one.

I agree that I think it's probably an electrical issue. I'm not real savvy on tracking wires....I can check the fuses and see that I'm getting power to the fuse plug in spot but that's as far as my expertise takes me.

Thanks for taking a stab and replying....that's all I can ask for....i appreciate you guys help....I'll keep checking back and will probably take it in next week if I don't figure it by then....which I am sure I won't unless someone one here had the exact same issue..lol.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:18 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Possibly the PIP in the distributor for a no spark issue. I think you would need an LED tester to test it with.
No fuel pump can sometimes be a bad ground especially the ones in front of the coolant bottle and beside the battery.
Those are worth a look anyway.
Old 11-17-2018, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_1
Possibly the PIP in the distributor for a no spark issue. I think you would need an LED tester to test it with.
No fuel pump can sometimes be a bad ground especially the ones in front of the coolant bottle and beside the battery.
Copy that. I'll check that out this afternoon while I crack open beers and drown my sorrows from having a truck that won't cooperate with me. Thanks for the reply friend. I'll update the thread after my attempt.
Old 11-17-2018, 04:17 PM

Received 1,264 Likes on 1,083 Posts

What year, and what engine? You're in the 87-96 sub-forum. That's a wide range. Ford used external ignition modules for quite a long time before they went to PCM-integrated modules. Your symptoms fit a simple case of bad ignition module.

There's a guy on the forum who probably has the answer, with detailed instructions, but he gets tired of asking the details about people's rigs. Post some details.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by BareBonesXL
What year, and what engine? You're in the 87-96 sub-forum. That's a wide range. Ford used external ignition modules for quite a long time before they went to PCM-integrated modules. Your symptoms fit a simple case of bad ignition module.

There's a guy on the forum who probably has the answer, with detailed instructions, but he gets tired of asking the details about people's rigs. Post some details.
1993 XL 4.9
2 wheel drive
5 speed
Anything else I am missing?
Old 11-18-2018, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_1

A friend looked at the pip and distributor and said all is working normal....the ground next to the battery looks normal and we cleaned it up a tad....still no go.

Truck turns over and cranks just fine....just not getting a spark nor any fuel past the rail. Took spark plug out again and they were dry.

I'm gonna keep trying everything y'all throw at me...at this point it can't hurt....if we still don't have it running after the holidays I will take it to a shop and let them at least see if they have any ideas.

Thanks again for everyone's help...it's nice to know there is a forum here where people actually help. Y'all have been great.

Quick Reply: The infamous my f150 won't start