Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Ignition switch hooked up... now questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 07:13 PM
For the People

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Ignition switch hooked up... now questions.

Alrighty... Put in a new ignition switch today, and it got rid of the play I was feeling in the ignition cylinder, so I didn't replace that. I was going to later (to troubleshoot, but I think I need a steering wheel puller to do that) but it didn't end up happening. Now a couple of things are going on: 1) I can't shift out of park unless I move the cylinder forward from its run position... not so far that I engage the starter, but still it isn't right; 2) I have a clip that came on my new ignition switch, that wasn't on my old switch. It isn't attached right now, since it fell off and didn't look like it did anything. Truck starts fine without it, and aside from the shifting problem I don't notice any difference.

A pic of the clip is attached, anyone know what it does, or if it's related to my problem, or how/what to hook it into?

Does anyone know why I can't shift out of park? Did I put in the ignition switch wrong, or is it the ignition cylinder?

Side questions: Do I need to take off the steering wheel to take off the ignition switch? How to I adjust the line that shows on the dash what gear I'm in, since it was off a little before, but now is a full gear off (i.e. it shows N when i'm in D)

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Ignition switch hooked up... now questions.-2011-01-21-19.00.10.jpg  
Old 01-21-2011, 08:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your ignition switch is probably not aligned properly. The holes on the ignition switch are oblong to allow for aligning it just right. That little clip is designed to keep the ignition switch in the right position while you bolt it down. After the switch is bolted down you remove the clip and plug the connector in.

The gear indicator is adjustable. Find where it connects to the gear selector on the steering column. You should be able to loosen the screw that holds it on and slide it up and down to get it to read correctly.

I had part of the mechanism that connects the key cylinder to the ignition switch break on my truck. That might also be the problem on your truck. I would try reinstalling the ignition switch first before tearing into the cylinder mechanism though.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:53 PM
For the People

Do i have to take off the steering wheel to take off the cylinder?
Old 01-21-2011, 11:04 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

No the steering wheel doesn't have to be removed to change out the key cylinder. But from what you are saying I agree with RS on trying to adjust the ignition switch first.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:22 PM
For the People

Alright, how do I go about adjusting the ignition switch? I know the holes are oblong, but the hook at the end of the rod that connects to it only fits in one spot... So when I put it in it would only go in one way, and wouldn't adjust (I didn't think?)
Old 01-22-2011, 01:28 PM
For the People

And is everyone sure you don't have to take off the steering wheel? I don't have that hole in the bottom of the cylinder housing to hit the push pin

Last edited by OtherWeckta; 01-22-2011 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

take the cover off the bottom of the steering collum u should see a hole there
Old 01-22-2011, 04:42 PM

that what i had to do on my 92 f150 to change the cylinder it is pretty simple from there
Old 01-22-2011, 05:46 PM
For the People

Alrighty it was just that the switch needed a little adjusting... problem solved! Still wondering about the cylinder, but I don't really think I need it anymore, so we'll save that for another day. Thanks all!
Old 01-23-2011, 09:06 AM

i just changed my lock cylinder yesterday on my 90 and u do have to take the steering wheel off i just wiggled it wile pulling on it and it came off

Quick Reply: Ignition switch hooked up... now questions.