Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

I should have known better - Pepboys killed my truck :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I should have known better - Pepboys killed my truck :(

So I went to pepboys tonight because I can't seem to figure out what in my suspension is making noise. Figuring they love to take customers for everything they can I expected a thorough inspection and a list of imperative repairs.

Instead I get a kid with headphones in telling me he didn't hear anything and all the bushings look good. I reference the fact he had headphones in and he insisted they were so low... etc, Anyways.. I tell him to take it around again cause I'd like to know what I need...he says nothing, and he would align it as is... Nonetheless he takes it for another lap around the block.

He comes back and doesn't exit the truck, I walk out and over and he says "yeah I hear It, it sounds like change but I dont know what it is" he flags over the service advisor/manager and he gets in with him. They leave, and come back a few moments later to park with the truck running infront of the store. They have no idea what the noise is and the advisor tells me to check out a speciality shop, not to worry about the $23 - I made a comment about how smooth the engine was, they said yeah it runs well for an old truck, and I proceeded to leave....

I get in the truck, ABS and Parking Brake lights are on. I go to put it in Drive and my foot hits the floor. There is NO brakes once so ever. I get out and go over to ask them what could have broken in 5 minutes and they are like "ohh I dunno, I mean I saw the light come on" but he couldnt remmeber when it came on, if it was the first trip around or second, and yeah the brakes were a little loose, but the caught "eventually" meanwhile I have no brakes at all.. may as well stick my feet out. They said check the brake fluid as I left - Which I did once I got home, completely empty.

So I leave, and phone up their 1800 number cause I'm not wasting any time getting this crap fixed by them. I go to roll up my window and kick on the AC...window doesnt come out of the door (i can hear the motor) and the AC isn't blowing out the vents, only up by the defroster.

Something has me thinking a brake line got busted during the test, either going onto the ramps/lift or something and with the master cylinder being empty there is no vacuum for the AC - as for the window... I have no ****ing idea.

I made a complaint with the corporate offic.. beyond their lack of effort in finding what was wrong, they let me leave like this,.. from experience I know with a busted tie rod they wouldnt cause of the liability invovled, I had to fix it, so its crazy to think that they didn't see an issue with this. I imagine they didn't charge me so that they could just junk the salesslip and there would be no proof I was even there (beyond security footage)

What the hell happened and what shoudl I do?!
Old 09-10-2014, 09:30 PM

Upon further investigation it looks like a brake line above my rear end ruptured... but how would he have pulled this one off?

You can see the spray up under the bed of the truck

Old 09-10-2014, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,141 Likes on 2,840 Posts

IMO i dont see how pep boys caused that...where that line blew is very well protected from damage other than rust
Old 09-10-2014, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by djfllmn
IMO i dont see how pep boys caused that...where that line blew is very well protected from damage other than rust
Well, I wasn't aware this was the culprit until after I posted - What I am imagining occured was he did a hard stop, blew the line, blew a vac hose somewhere else I will chase down in the AM. Probably had no idea what happened just realized suddenly the lights were on and there were no brakes, being a younger kid (who with headphones in is clear he doesn't take much seriously) probably just wanted me out the door.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:21 PM
Oooo a Custom Title.

Received 108 Likes on 73 Posts

You are going to want to clean that up with brake cleaner so it doesn't rust the bottom of that bed.

That line was rusted, kid may of hit the brakes hard and blew the fragile line.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:58 AM

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by LOCO LAPTOP
You are going to want to clean that up with brake cleaner so it doesn't rust the bottom of that bed.

That line was rusted, kid may of hit the brakes hard and blew the fragile line.
Isnt brake fluid essentially just very thin oil? why would it make it rust anything? just curious as of why, not trying to argue or anything
Old 09-11-2014, 01:11 AM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

Brake fluid removes paint.
The following users liked this post:
Ford 4x4 (09-11-2014)
Old 09-11-2014, 08:32 AM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

It also attracts and holds moisture. The brake issue will have no effect on the AC. Though if you are completely out of brake fluid and drove (used brakes) it more than likely damaged the master cylinder. Until you get the blend door actuator and HVAC hoses hooked up properly you are going to have issues with the climate selector, it may run what you want (ac) but it will choose where to blow it as the selector may be able to move with vibration, stopping/starting forces, turning.

Pull the door panel off, 3 screws on the top half, should be 5 on the bottom (Phillips), check for obstructions. Window problems are common, could be something blocking the regulator, something in the track. Lube the track and the regulator where it has moving parts (gear, slide rail, pivot point)

Also, just because the motor makes noise doesn't mean it's strong enough to raise the window.

Last edited by fltdriver; 09-11-2014 at 08:34 AM. Reason: also
Old 09-12-2014, 04:12 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

had the same line in the same place pop on me. replaced it in the parking lot. rust plus that clip rubbing it from an form of vibration will eventually cause the line
to pop
Old 09-12-2014, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by 4wheeldevil
had the same line in the same place pop on me. replaced it in the parking lot. rust plus that clip rubbing it from an form of vibration will eventually cause the line
to pop
I went back and the service manager rolled his eyes... Ended up replacing the lines, drums, cylinders and shoes for $213 bucks with warranty.

I will not complain

Quick Reply: I should have known better - Pepboys killed my truck :(