Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

I put bad gas in my tank.. rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I put bad gas in my tank.. rough idle

Hey guys so I drive my 88 f150 4.9l single cab every day for everything... it's what I got. The front tank has never worked properly since I've had the truck so I always used the back tank. Last year I thought for sure I got it working so I stupidly topped it off and low and behold it didn't work. Work has been slow and times are tough to say the least... I had to siphon old gas from my front tank to my rear to get to work this week. This first time I did it the idle after was rough and stayed that way until I got on the road and push 3rd gear out to about 3k then it was fine. Had to siphon more gas and this time I sucked up the good stuff. Now I had a very rough idle and not nearly as much power as normal so my first guess was **** I clogged the injectors. Trying to to get into that injector mess I started checking components just after the tank. Some of this I din't know what it is but Took the pan off of I believe the fuel valve(?) and emptied that out and let fuel run through it for a bit. This component has two lines in and two lines out In it was a lot of rust to no surprise. So that didn't help at all and I took out the fuel filter and blew air through as well as i installed it backwards and cycled the key multiple times hoping to blow out some of the gunk it sucked up. Quick note I haven't many fuel filters but is there something inside thats suppose to move? I shook it and it wasn't a rattle but more like something solid moving. So I installed it correctly and all and still no change. Maybe worse.

It sounds either like its starved of fuel pressure or that it's misfiring maybe due to clogged injectors. Judging by the sounds of the fuel filter and that I haven't changed it in the 10 years i've had the truck i'd say it wasn't doing its job and the junk made it to the injectors. What do you guys think? The dirty towel is what came out of the filters.

Also when I dropped my front tank it was cold, late and I was exhausted. I unplugged the tank vent and cut the intake and return fuel lines. Would that have any affect with them hanging in free air? the system is tank>compent with two in two out>pump>filter>

Like I said work is slow and I just need a way to limp it to friday so I can get a check and really work on it. Thank you for any help!!

pics below
Old 03-16-2019, 05:43 PM

fuel valve?

Old 03-16-2019, 07:36 PM

Received 1,208 Likes on 969 Posts

yeah, replace that filter
Old 03-17-2019, 02:10 AM

You think that's it? Can't imagine that simple of a fix is all. Not doubting you
Old 03-17-2019, 11:48 AM

i think it's either that or clogged injectors. you can try fuel injector cleaner and see if it helps
Old 03-18-2019, 08:29 AM

I replaced fuel filter just because it needed it anyways but that didn't help at all. I pulled the manifold off and all that and yanked my injectors out. Caps were cracked, broken and missing. Only thing that concerned me was that only one injector had any sort of pressure on it whenever I was pulling them out. Doesn't seem right to me.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Line 6
I replaced fuel filter just because it needed it anyways but that didn't help at all. I pulled the manifold off and all that and yanked my injectors out. Caps were cracked, broken and missing. Only thing that concerned me was that only one injector had any sort of pressure on it whenever I was pulling them out. Doesn't seem right to me.
doesn't seem right to me either. those injectors could be original. are you going to replace them?

Quick Reply: I put bad gas in my tank.. rough idle