Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

i need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 12:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default i need help

my gas mileage is killing me tell me anything i can do to it to increase it, its a 96 f150 4x4 if i cant get more then 12 i might have to sell it and i love my truck
Old 12-08-2009, 01:37 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

start w/ a scan for error codes (a more thorough check under the hood)http://www.extreme-check-engine-ligh...%20Decoder.htm or http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=13 or the easy way http://www.handsontools.com/Equus-In...ol_p_5574.html & detox the engine https://www.f150forum.com/f72/how-seafoam-eighth-gen-f150-1987-1991-a-31505/
Old 12-08-2009, 01:57 PM

ok thanks but i was wandering if a cold air intake would help or msd coil and distributor or aluminum under drive pulley
Old 12-08-2009, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by ford feller
ok thanks but i was wandering if a cold air intake would help These tend to over lean a MAP engine, they're more suited to MAF engines. For MAP's a K&N drop in is enough. or msd coil and distributor Ignition upgrade is my personal favorite but I'd keep the Distributor and replace the cap & rotor w/ brass http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/show...ht=timing+bump or aluminum under drive pulley Problematic w/ charge system. You should be able to get the MPG's w/o them.
A dry/wet compression test is a good idea. There's no sense in re-outfitting a lame horse. This test, an error code scan & engine detox is the first logical course of action. Otherwise your putting the cart in front of the horse. And if that horse is lame, it makes it alot easier for it to bite you in your ***! My 87'302/2wd/auto gets 18/23 MPG when I drive w/ mileage in mind. I'm not the only one. The Ignition upgrade w/ Timing bump also gets you a very noticeable performance increase at the same time. Unusual but true!

Last edited by ymeski56; 12-08-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:46 PM

ok i did the error tests well i had it scanned at advance and found out my truck is the obd2 but anyways nothing came back wrong and im not really sure what you are talking about when you said dry/wet compression test or engine detox i would be happy with getting 15 in the city anything is better then 11 and thats driving with gas in mind
Old 12-08-2009, 05:32 PM

]ok i did the error tests well i had it scanned at advance and found out my truck is the obd2 but anyways nothing came back wrong and im not really sure what you are talking about when you said dry/wet compression test Dry would be disabling the fuel pump and checking compression. Wet would be introducing a small amount of oil into the cylinder and taking another reading. this gives insight as to condition of the rings & valves especially for the lower pressure cylinders.or engine detox Detoxing would be de-sludgeing the oil lubrication system, removal of combustion chamber deposits, flushing the coolant system, cleaning the Fuel Injection. Prerequisites for optimum or even acceptable performance. "Everybody wants to go to heaven.....But nobody wants to die!" I'm referring to prerequisites. would be happy with getting 15 in the city anything is better then 11 and that's driving with gas in mind Completely not out of the question, but there are prerequisites. You have to enable it to run efficiently. You can't just replace parts, upgraded or otherwise. An Ignition system Upgrade and Timing bump will put an unhealthy engine out of it's misery in short order. But for a healthy engine w/ halfway decent, fairly balanced compression, the rewards in performace & MPG's are great!
Old 12-08-2009, 06:12 PM
Hi-Rev Motorsports

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

my gas mileage is killing me tell me anything i can do to it to increase it, its a 96 f150 4x4 if i cant get more then 12 i might have to sell it and i love my truck

1st I need more information...I need what engine you have and what rear end gear is in the truck and if it is limited slip oir not...the 1st set of digits on the tag are the gear ration...

Most important...you need to make sure the ignition system is in top notch shape...Cap, Rotor, Plugs and wires and if the truck has more than 80,000 miles anew coil...they go weak and fuel mileage will suffer...

I recommend a Brass cap and rotor and decent wires and Copper plugs for the factory coil...

next we will need to look at the exhaust system...O2 sensor should be changed at least every other year if not every year...while the O2 sensor is out might as well check back pressure to test the Cats if ou still have them..any more than 3psi during cruise and the cat is plugged....

if you have aftermarket exhaust you can lose here...you need to be specific what you have...

Clutch fan should be checked for sticking...a stuck fan will waste fuel...

when I got my 95 4.9L I was getting 11-12 mpg...these are the mods that I have done and have netted me very good results...

tune up...

Lucas Injector cleaner...I run this in every other tank full and it is good for 1mpg

Cap, rotor, plugs and wires...I used HD OEM wires..not need to spend alot here...we arent arc welding with them...

MSD box...this was worth 2mpg on its own...

Bumped timing to 14 degrees from teh base of 10 degrees..was worth 1-2mpg as well...

put a 160 t-stat in....this was worth 2-4mpg...the ECM will taylor for based on temps...

Electric fan replacing the clutch fan...better throttle responce...and faster warm-ups...

I went from 11-12 total to to 18mpg city and 24mpg highway...

the timing bump and MSD box and Electric fan really helped with throttle response...

the 1st thing I do to any vehicle I get is lay down a base mpg over several tanks then I start tweaking...1st is 160 t-stat then higher output coil and MSD box...

I have NEVER lost mpg.....ever

Oh I switched to synthetic oil...that was good for atleast 1mpg...unless the other posters disagree...
Old 12-08-2009, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by dr_bowtie
Oh I switched to synthetic oil...that was good for atleast 1mpg...unless the other posters disagree...
It's not worth an inch over .92 MPG's! You were probably coasting the last .08!
Don't make me call my Tribolgist. I've done it for less! I hope this guy's writing all this down, the end result is worth it.

Last edited by ymeski56; 12-08-2009 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by dr_bowtie
1st I need more information...I need what engine you have and what rear end gear is in the truck and if it is limited slip oir not...the 1st set of digits on the tag are the gear ration...
it is a 302 it is limited slip im not sure wat the gear is but its stock so i think 4.11 but not sure

Most important...you need to make sure the ignition system is in top notch shape...Cap, Rotor, Plugs and wires and if the truck has more than 80,000 miles anew coil...they go weak and fuel mileage will suffer...
it was tuned up last year its got 72,000 miles on it
I recommend a Brass cap and rotor and decent wires and Copper plugs for the factory coil...

next we will need to look at the exhaust system...O2 sensor should be changed at least every other year if not every year...while the O2 sensor is out might as well check back pressure to test the Cats if ou still have them..any more than 3psi during cruise and the cat is plugged....
no 02 sensors have been replaced it has stock two cats stock manifolds with a flowmaster catback exaust
if you have aftermarket exhaust you can lose here...you need to be specific what you have...

Clutch fan should be checked for sticking...a stuck fan will waste fuel...
im pretty sure the clutch fan is not sticking
when I got my 95 4.9L I was getting 11-12 mpg...these are the mods that I have done and have netted me very good results...

tune up...

Lucas Injector cleaner...I run this in every other tank full and it is good for 1mpg

Cap, rotor, plugs and wires...I used HD OEM wires..not need to spend alot here...we arent arc welding with them...

MSD box...this was worth 2mpg on its own...

Bumped timing to 14 degrees from teh base of 10 degrees..was worth 1-2mpg as well...

put a 160 t-stat in....this was worth 2-4mpg...the ECM will taylor for based on temps...

Electric fan replacing the clutch fan...better throttle responce...and faster warm-ups...

I went from 11-12 total to to 18mpg city and 24mpg highway...

the timing bump and MSD box and Electric fan really helped with throttle response...

the 1st thing I do to any vehicle I get is lay down a base mpg over several tanks then I start tweaking...1st is 160 t-stat then higher output coil and MSD box...

I have NEVER lost mpg.....ever

thanks
Old 12-08-2009, 06:44 PM
Hi-Rev Motorsports

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

thanks
The f150 4x4 302 commonly came with either a 2.47:1 Limited Slip or 3.08:1

if you added bigger tires you will be lugging the engine and that hurts mpg....look at the tag and let us know and what tires you run...