Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

I have a 1996 that wont start.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 12:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question I have a 1996 that wont start.

Newbie looking for some advice

I'm looking to buy a 1996 f150 xl 5.0 with a manual transmission, I've so far have changed the battery, new starter (tested) and oil change due to the truck sitting for the last 8 to 10 months, When I insert and turn the key all dash lights come on, but the starter does not respond, hence no turn over, nothing, just the buzzer making a lot of noise.

All suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you

Barndoor67
The following users liked this post:
docblk50 (06-27-2012)
Old 02-24-2008, 12:35 AM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would check the wiring and connectors running from that battery to the starter.

Welcome to the site!
docblk50 (06-27-2012)
Old 02-24-2008, 10:21 AM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome to the site!

Sounds like you already bought the truck with all the work you are doing to it. You turn the key and nothing happens, no clicking sound at all, right? I agree with Ty, check all the connections, but I would also suggest replacing the starter relay/solenoid on the inside of the fender by the battery. Usually, when they go bad, the make a clicking sound and won't stay closed to complete the circuit. But it is possible it is not responding at all. They are only a few $ so it is not a bad thing to try.

Good luck!

*Just thought of something, it could be something called a neutral safety switch. Not sure if they have that on a manual transmission, or what the "technical" term for it is, but it is a sensor that tells the truck that is in park or neutral before it will start. If you have ever tried to start a vehicle, while it is in gear, it will act the same way, nothing happens. Just a thought.

Last edited by dewman; 02-24-2008 at 10:26 AM.
docblk50 (06-27-2012)
Old 02-24-2008, 11:34 AM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

Welcome to the site!

Manual transmissions should have a clutch interlock for the starter - the switch is typically located up under the dash on the clutch pedal assembly. May try jumpering this switch out.

Other thoughts are a faulty starter solenoid, or a faulty starter itself. Long shot would be a fault with the ignition switch block (maybe nothing more than an adjustment issue), located on the steering column down near the brake/clutch pedals.

If you have a voltmeter or 12VDC test light - check the voltage on the starter solenoid control/signal wire with the key rolled to START. At least this will tell you which way to look.

If voltage present, then suspect the problem to be downstream with the solenoid, starter, power wiring, or connections - does the solenoid 'click' when the key is rolled? If voltage is not present, then the problem is upstream with the related switches, interlocks, and control wiring.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:06 PM
bulit not brought

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my truck did that and is was my relayfor the starter
Old 02-27-2008, 08:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

Update,

I changed the starter relay/solenoid on the side of the fender, and the truck started up, Now the engine makes a loud tapping noise???, I test drove it around the block it was kind of sluggish, I was thinking of finding a shop to give me a diagnostic, but not sure of whom to take it to. I live in Lake County, IL if anyone has any recommendations Please post.

Thank you,

Barndoor67
Old 02-27-2008, 08:42 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by barndoor67
Update,

I changed the starter relay/solenoid on the side of the fender, and the truck started up, Now the engine makes a loud tapping noise???, I test drove it around the block it was kind of sluggish, I was thinking of finding a shop to give me a diagnostic, but not sure of whom to take it to. I live in Lake County, IL if anyone has any recommendations Please post.

Thank you,

Barndoor67
Could be sticky lifters.
You could try running some stp oil treatment thru it.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default interlock switch clutch

Originally Posted by dewman
Welcome to the site!

Sounds like you already bought the truck with all the work you are doing to it. You turn the key and nothing happens, no clicking sound at all, right? I agree with Ty, check all the connections, but I would also suggest replacing the starter relay/solenoid on the inside of the fender by the battery. Usually, when they go bad, the make a clicking sound and won't stay closed to complete the circuit. But it is possible it is not responding at all. They are only a few $ so it is not a bad thing to try.

Good luck!

*Just thought of something, it could be something called a neutral safety switch. Not sure if they have that on a manual transmission, or what the "technical" term for it is, but it is a sensor that tells the truck that is in park or neutral before it will start. If you have ever tried to start a vehicle, while it is in gear, it will act the same way, nothing happens. Just a thought.
ive got a switch in the pushrod cluch but it jumps off the rod not sure why was wondering what it does ive had to start my truck in neutral by shorting out the solenoid was thinking of putting a twisttie on it to hold it on ive check all my fuses on isnt good somthing about power point or something a 25 found a image that shows i need a clip on the switch does anyone know where i can find one thanks

Last edited by docblk50; 06-26-2012 at 03:53 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 06-26-2012, 04:51 PM

Received 112 Likes on 109 Posts

It depends on where the ticking noise is coming from. Upper.end could be lifters, rockers, spark short, loose spark plug, exhaust leak. Lower end could be rods or bearings. Do you.have a cel on. Check for codes. Even without the cel on there can be error codes stored.

Quick Reply: I have a 1996 that wont start.