Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

I can hear the starter but engine won't turn over?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I can hear the starter but engine won't turn over?

Like the title says guys, every once in a while ill try to turn over my engine but it wont turn over, I'll hear my starter working though. Then when I let go of the ignition I here a "click" sound like the starter popped into place then my engine will turn over. What could be causing this?

-Tony
Old 10-30-2011, 02:16 AM

hmm, so the starter motor runs without turning the engine? then as you turn the key off the solenoid kicks?

I'd start by cleaning all the electrical connections to the starter, and if that didn't help I'd replace the solenoid.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

You could have a dead spot in your starter as well.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by nemesiss45
hmm, so the starter motor runs without turning the engine? then as you turn the key off the solenoid kicks?

I'd start by cleaning all the electrical connections to the starter, and if that didn't help I'd replace the solenoid.
Exactly, it just started happening as it was getting cold here (in the low 40's), maybe a coincidence but just thought I would give a little more info.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:59 AM

All connections look good but do I have a starter that is attached to a solenoid?
Old 10-30-2011, 10:16 AM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by 92'FordF150
Like the title says guys, every once in a while ill try to turn over my engine but it wont turn over, I'll hear my starter working though. Then when I let go of the ignition I here a "click" sound like the starter popped into place then my engine will turn over. What could be causing this?

-Tony
The starter drive is bad the overrunning clutch is sticking. Time for starter rebuild with a new drive You could just replace the drive but rb starters are cheap and if your up to it parts are cheaper yet. Bubbabud
Old 10-30-2011, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by bubbabud
The starter drive is bad the overrunning clutch is sticking. Time for starter rebuild with a new drive You could just replace the drive but rb starters are cheap and if your up to it parts are cheaper yet. Bubbabud
So if I replace the starter it should be fine?
Old 10-30-2011, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by 92'FordF150
So if I replace the starter it should be fine?
YUPPER bubbabud
Old 10-30-2011, 11:07 AM
Senior almost

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

All starters have a solenoid somewhere. The bendix could be bad which is the part that pushes the actual gear to the flywheel ring gear. There is the remote possible chance the ring gear on the flywheel is worn. If you remove the starter about 100 to replace autozone. Look in the hole it came out of and see if the edges of the teeth in the hole look chewed up. Rotate with a flywheel tool, if you have one and inspect the teeth all the way around and make sure none are missing... If you see missing teeth then pick up a new flywheel to exactly match the one you have....
Old 10-30-2011, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by 2010FX4F150GILROY
All starters have a solenoid somewhere. The bendix could be bad which is the part that pushes the actual gear to the flywheel ring gear. There is the remote possible chance the ring gear on the flywheel is worn. If you remove the starter about 100 to replace autozone. Look in the hole it came out of and see if the edges of the teeth in the hole look chewed up. Rotate with a flywheel tool, if you have one and inspect the teeth all the way around and make sure none are missing... If you see missing teeth then pick up a new flywheel to exactly match the one you have....
Ford hasnt used bendix drive since 1953 as for the solinoid ford uses a heavy relay often called a solinoid to send power to the starter usualy mounted on the fender well close to the battery' under a metal cover on the side of the starter there is a steal shoe mounted on a pivet conected to a fork. When the starter is enrgized the steal shoe is pulled in by the field coil magnetic force this in turn causes the fork to pull the drive gear into the ring gear.and turns the engine. The overunning clutch on the drive is to allow the drive to spin free after start up untill the starter is disengaged. AS for the $100 shop around they can be had for much less and the parts to rebuild it including drive are less than $20.bubbabud

Quick Reply: I can hear the starter but engine won't turn over?