Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

How to remove Torque Converter from loose engine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 02:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default How to remove Torque Converter from loose engine?

Greetings,

I am in the process of replacing my 351. We managed to get the engine out, but the torque converter came with it. So now it is attached to the flywheel.

I noted before we pulled it there are 4 bolts through the flywheel to the TC. I imagine we just take them off one at a time through the access window. The problem is the engine has to be spun to get to each bolt. Does anyone have a procedure for doing this?
Old 11-12-2013, 03:57 PM
Drive like you stole it

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

pull the spark plugs out to get rid of the compression, put a socket on the balancer bolt and turn the crank. Or you can buy a tool that grips the fly wheel teeth to turn it.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:43 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I must say, that's odd. My 93 converter came out with a separate input shaft as did the trans from the bronco we pulled it from. It's been a few months but there were no bolt holes in either torque converter.. we checked. It all just came apart during the process.. required the trans to only be pulled back an inch before that happened.

Last edited by Andrew315; 11-12-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the replies.

Well it is definitely bolted on the flywheel, and the flywheel is bolted to the engine. So it is blocking me from removing the TC, and I need to take that off to get my core charge refund.

If I remove the plugs, and turn it manually, is there a pattern I should use? I presume there are 4 bolts. So my guess would be to loosen them all and remove top and bottom, and then left and right?

Last edited by Tiderfish; 11-12-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:29 PM
Hi-Rev Motorsports

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

4 bolts 90 degrees apart... I always pull the starter and take them off either thru the starter hole or the bottom half of the inspection cover...
Old 11-12-2013, 07:56 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrew315
I must say, that's odd. My 93 converter came out with a separate input shaft as did the trans from the bronco we pulled it from. It's been a few months but there were no bolt holes in either torque converter.. we checked. It all just came apart during the process.. required the trans to only be pulled back an inch before that happened.
Lol, no. Not a single Bronco or F150 has a torque converter that isn't bolted to the flywheel. Not one.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:47 AM
Drive like you stole it

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Just call me Sean
Lol, no. Not a single Bronco or F150 has a torque converter that isn't bolted to the flywheel. Not one.
Haha, might be one out there somewhere but it probably just makes a lot of noise and doesn't move!! Not a whole lot of torque converting would be going on if it wasn't attached to the engine.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:01 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Obviously there is. There were two. I never bolted the TC up after putting it all together and my truck does fine. There weren't even holes in either of them. Like I said, there were two shafts, one out of the engine to the TC and from the TC to the trans. I can recall perfectly how I did it.

Just to add, I'm fairly confident on what I was doing and watched carefully how it all came apart and went together. I'm not saying every one should be the same but who is to say I'm wrong because mine was different?

Last edited by Andrew315; 11-13-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:02 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrew315

Obviously there is. There were two. I never bolted the TC up after putting it all together and my truck does fine. There weren't even holes in either of them. Like I said, there were two shafts, one out of the engine to the TC and from the TC to the trans. I can recall perfectly how I did it.

Just to add, I'm fairly confident on what I was doing and watched carefully how it all came apart and went together. I'm not saying every one should be the same but who is to say I'm wrong because mine was different?
Because there is no such thing. You're wrong. If you want me to believe you get a picture, but you can't because there is no such thing.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:53 PM
broke white boy

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

Because there is no such thing. You're wrong. If you want me to believe you get a picture, but you can't because there is no such thing.
here is a picture of a stationary torque converter, lol like to see them fit that in a ford, lol

Quick Reply: How to remove Torque Converter from loose engine?