Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

How to clean up this electrical mess?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 08:35 PM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Default How to clean up this electrical mess?

I've seen lots of pics of carburated engines and it's nice and clean. Not sure if this is this wire is in the right spot. I don't think it is. Is there a way to route this sort of cleaner and not in the way of the oil cover? I'm talking about the red wire harness below.

Also, what is that green piece for? Looks like its supposed to hold something.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:53 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe the green part is the lift bracket to install/remove the engine.
I am far from an expert. HTH
Old 03-27-2017, 10:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Green piece is for lifting the engine out. If you look on left side of motor there will be another one. The harness is on the other side of my oil spout on my truck. Just loosen the band on the hose pull it off and move harness over and be sure to put the hose back or you might have oil splattered everywhere when motor is running. Either side for the harness should be ok as long as its not touching or near anything that gets hot enough to melt anything.
The following users liked this post:
ericantonio (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by ReT_SqUiD
Green piece is for lifting the engine out. If you look on left side of motor there will be another one. The harness is on the other side of my oil spout on my truck. Just loosen the band on the hose pull it off and move harness over and be sure to put the hose back or you might have oil splattered everywhere when motor is running. Either side for the harness should be ok as long as its not touching or near anything that gets hot enough to melt anything.
Sounds like a plan! So just unplug, lift, clean and move it to other side. Actually on my way to work I read the other response and opened then hood when I got there. I was looking towards the rear of the engine passenger side and didn't see one of those things. Maybe it's under near the EGR? Cause I read that lifting the engine out, the cables or chain should be sort of diagonal to engine so it would make sense if the other piece if towards the rear. I'll check it again today. Thanks!!
Old 03-27-2017, 12:26 PM

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Mine (1994) only had the single lifting bracket like yours. No matching bracket on the passenger side. I left it off when I put in a new engine. It's no good without it's mate.

You'll need a socket wrench to unplug that big connector. The bolt head is at the rear. And then there is a plastic keeper on top that will need to be lifted slightly once the connector is loose. My big cable is routed between the valve cover and A/C compressor. It seems to fit nicely there.
ericantonio (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by seschenburg
Mine (1994) only had the single lifting bracket like yours. No matching bracket on the passenger side. I left it off when I put in a new engine. It's no good without it's mate.
New engine later this year! So not worried about that piece

You'll need a socket wrench to unplug that big connector.
I'm a little confused. Which connector are you talking about? The electrical piece that attaches to the AC Compressor?

The bolt head is at the rear.
Sorry, again confused again. So the bolt you are saying is part of the statement above? Not sure cause I don't think I saw a bolt there.

And then there is a plastic keeper on top that will need to be lifted slightly once the connector is loose.
I think I actually saw this!!

My big cable is routed between the valve cover and A/C compressor. It seems to fit nicely there.
Great thanks! Do you do it below or above the AC tube there?
Old 03-28-2017, 09:34 AM

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Sorry, I misread ReT_SqUiD's response. He was talking about the vent hose from the oil filler neck to the air intake. I thought he was talking about the big connector where the big cable connects to the harness on the wheel well.

Mine is run under the A/C hose.
ericantonio (03-28-2017)