Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Home Made Body Lift

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Home Made Body Lift

No not talking about using pressure treated wood or hockey pucks haha

I used to have a Nissan Xterra and the BL kit for it was close to $300 bucks. I got the parts list of the Performance Accessory kit and when shopping on eBay for lift blocks, example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ZONE-...Q5fAccessories

Then I took the hardware list to a local bolt supplier and got all the bolts.

When all said and done I spent about $75 on a kit that was selling for $300+. Now I didnt get the steering extension or a couple relocation brackets but I made it workwithout it. Actually the steering extension was not even required, it worked fine without it.

My question is can I do the same for the F150?
Here is the kit:

Everything looks VERY doable with the exception of the steering extension. I did a quick price check and it would be about $57 for all the lift blocks, and I am guessing less that $10 for all the hardware. I can make my own bumper brackets and I dont even have a fan shroud at the moment haha! So looks like I can make a kit for less than half price but getting that steering extension is the only thing I question, which I think I would need because I would want a 3" block kit.

Also does the bed need any kind of crush block or anything, or maybe its called overload blocks?

I know the kit above it only like $130 but anything to save a couple bucks
Old 08-13-2010, 04:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wouldnt be afraid of making my own not much too any of it but iam a field service tech so iam use to making things out of nothin
Old 08-13-2010, 06:07 PM
Are my eyes red?

i had a body lift for my 95 f150 i never got around to installing before i got rid of the truck :-( but i dont remember it even coming with the steering extension. you might be able to get away with it, maybe call the company and see if you can buy just that part, or look up on ebay/craigslist whatever or maybe a junkyard has a lifted truck you could find it on. good luck though, i'd pay <100 over 300 anyday
Old 12-07-2010, 09:12 PM

Default bolts

I am making my own 3" lift out of 2 1/2"od tubing for my 93 150 regular cab and wanted to see if anyone knew what length bolts i'll need being i'm driving it i dont want to pull them out to check thanks PS also has anyone made a steering extension?
Old 12-07-2010, 10:08 PM

i found what i was looking for on another thread
Old 12-07-2010, 10:32 PM
Springer Spaniels Rule

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Just remember the Nissan is just a glorified tin can tonka toy, the thing you should check is the weight rating on the mounts, the nissan body is lighter than the Ford, so you do not crush the mounts from the weight of the Ford body and loading the bed. Besides the size of the bolts compared to the Ford bolts, Ford uses a 1\2" bolt, japs use a 3\8 bolt or what ever comes close in metric sizes.

Last edited by dirtcrew51m; 12-07-2010 at 10:36 PM. Reason: bad eye hand brain coordination
Old 12-08-2010, 11:07 PM
WOOF

the thing is.. your Xterra's body kit is 300. the 3" kits for our truck from summitracing is about 80 i believe, havent looked in a while.. $75 worth of parts repackaged for $80 is a hell of a deal if you know its all included minus bumper riser brackets

Quick Reply: Home Made Body Lift