Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Heater Problems

Old 12-27-2010, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater Problems

I have a 1994 F150 with a straight six cy engine with automatic transmission. The air works pretty good during the summertime. however it's now winter and the heater is not working so well.

Here's what it does: It blows fairly strong...the temperature is only warm...but not enough to heat you up. then all of the sudden it will blow really cool. It's never warm enough to warm you up...just enough to not make you freeze too badly.

Does anyone have any ideas what I can do to fix this....

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:51 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

Welcome to the site!

A properly working heater core should be able to run you out of the cab.

Suggest to -
* ensure the temperature blending door / damper is closing fully. This can be inspected by removing the access panel located behind the glovebox (take the glovebox out, about 8 screws, and voila). You should see the heater core straightaway, the damper kinda has to have the line-of-sight just right.
* ensure the coolant level is full. What you describe is a typical symptom of low coolant, BUT low coolant isn't the only thing that could be causing the problem.
* make sure the thermostat is working properly and is the OEM-rated temperature. I always seem to get the thermostats that go bad by not opening, leaving me stranded - but there are those that fail by not closing, and those that just don't have a thermostat at all.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:15 PM
Springer Spaniels Rule

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Where is the needle on the temp gauge? If it doesnt move much the thermostat might be hanging open, the cooling has nothing to do with the heating system, two different coils. Also check vacuum hose to temp selector, it goes through the firewall by the heater core.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Heater Problems