Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Heater core or Thermostat?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater core or Thermostat?

my 84 f150 isn't blowing hot air. The fan seems to work alright when I have it on defrost, but when I switch to heat it barley blows out any air let alone hot air. I'm not sure what the problem is as I think it might be my thermostat or heater core. I am just not sure how to tell the difference and know which one is giving me the problem. Any ideas? thanks
Old 10-21-2018, 11:11 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

If the t'stat was stuck open, the engine would never heat up fully; and you'd never get heat in defrost. Similarly: if the heater core is supplying heat for defrost, it can supply heat for all the other registers. If you get heat on any one setting, it's available for all settings.

But your description of the problem isn't clear... You said "on defrost", and then "switch to heat". Are you using defrost with the temperature set to cold?
Old 10-22-2018, 07:10 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

First... let’s see if you are getting hot coolant through the core. At engine operating temp.. select heat in the cab.. pop the hood and feel the 2 heater hoses that pass through the firewall .. both should been warm or hot to the touch. That will tell you... you have good flow through the heater core.

Quick Reply: Heater core or Thermostat?