Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Hard starts/flooding, dash lights out, steering intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard starts/flooding, dash lights out, steering intermittent

My 87 150 with 5.0L, XLT Lariat... hates to start when cold in the morning. Sometimes will crank and crank like it wants to start...will have to keep foot on the pedal to rev it up to keep it running. Sometimes I can drive it and be ok, other days, it will stall once put into gear.

Lately the power steering is non-existent in the morning, but works fine later in the day. Got Lucas in it, seems to drip below the gearbox. Still isn't always working in the mornings...When stopped makes a grunting sound turning the wheel.
Temp gauge on the dash does not work at all. Possibly part of why it doesn't run well when cold? Have a coolant temp sensor to put in, if I can find where it goes?

So far I've spent $2000 on a new fuel selector valve, new front tank, new sending unit, new pigtail, new starter, new solenoid/relay. Other new parts are new MC and booster.
Cant wait to put new bulbs in the dash, some burned out... no turn signals or other lights work below the cluster (they used to until recently) and a few in the cluster are out. Looks like 194LL is the bulbs in the cluster...what bulbs go below it?

Sorry this is a lot of info! Any answers to the above are greatly appreciated!

Quick Reply: Hard starts/flooding, dash lights out, steering intermittent