Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Had some fuel issues?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 07:23 PM
mattbarron94

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Had some fuel issues?

Had a lot of issues today when I was driving back to Dallas. I've always had the crossfill problem with my fuel tanks, but it normally happens once every couple months so I never fixed it. Well today I was going 75 running in the front tank, and I went to pass someone and as soon as I gassed it my truck hesitated really bad, like it wasn't getting the gas to go. When I realized I wasn't going to pass the other vehicle I took my foot off the gas and hit the brakes to get back in my lane, the brakes were stiff as all hell and wouldn't go down, so I smashed into the brakes and the de compressed and that's when I realized the gas pedal had dropped to the floor. So I smashed on the gas to try and get it to go back up and it did. As soon as I was safe I pulled to the side if the road to figure it out. On the front tank when I gave it gas in park it hesitated terribly, but when I was ok the rear tank it ran fine. So I used the rear tank to get home and occasionally switched to the front to see if it was working and it still hesitated.

This was the first time I've ever had these issues with the brakes/gas and honestly it scared the **** outta me. If it makes a difference I was using cruise control up untill the point where I Tried to pass the car.

If y'all can help me out id appreciate all the advice y'all have. I'm driving back to Nac on Sunday and is like to get it fixed before that 300 mile drive again...
Old 09-25-2014, 07:29 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

One idea is that the brake switch that disengages the cruise didn't work?

Maybe the fuel pump in your front tank is either getting weak, or the inlet screen to the pump has clogged...
Old 09-25-2014, 07:57 PM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

Agree it's time to replace that pump. You should also re-test the brakes at safe speeds to be sure they work properly. The two issues shouldn't have anything to do with each other so work on one then the other. It seems, in my experience anyway, that when two separate problems are being fixed at the same time it's hard to pinpoint any issues that arise from the work that was done, "What caused this" is easier to answer when you only do one thing at a time.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:54 PM
mattbarron94

Alright I'll be running to ford tomorrow then to see if they have a fuel pump there. Not what I wanted to be doing this weekend, but oh well :/
Old 09-27-2014, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you done the recall? I forgot the exact number on it but on my 96 I had to get a wire on the master cylinder, apparently sometimes the cruise control doesn't disengage when the brake is applied. You know, since you're going to Ford anyway...
Old 09-27-2014, 09:58 PM
mattbarron94

Originally Posted by Facio
Have you done the recall? I forgot the exact number on it but on my 96 I had to get a wire on the master cylinder, apparently sometimes the cruise control doesn't disengage when the brake is applied. You know, since you're going to Ford anyway...
Ford checked recalls on my truck like a year ago, so unless it's a recent recall I don't have that recall or it was already fixed

Quick Reply: Had some fuel issues?