Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Gear indicator adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 10:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gear indicator adjustment

Ok - I searched, I read, I stood on my head, I got frustrated...

The column indicator on my dash doesn't line up with the correct gear - it's about 1/2 a gear off. I found a few threads about this, and they tend to point toward a small adjustment wheel under the dash.

My truck is a '91 with E4OD. Does the electronic tranny not have this same adjustment wheel, or am I just overlooking it? I have the fuse panel off to see everything under the column, but I can't find the adjuster.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:32 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

My only experience with this is with GM vehicles. On GM vehicles the indicator is attached to the rotating part of the column with a small cable and a clip. The clip can be slid along any part of the rotating part of the column to adjust the indicator. I don't know if Ford is similiar, and mine is a stick.

How is the feeling in the gate? As you pull through the gears do the stops line up? That may be off too and you would have to adjust the linkage. The Haynes says something about a cable freeplay locking tab down near the transmission that is released and then locked back in with the transmission lever and column lever in alignment.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:06 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Like the info from Sean, the PRNDL indicator has a cable attached to it, this cable attached to a point or barb on the shift collar, as the collar mooves so does your needle. There are slots for adjustment. I am not familiar with a wheel, could be something new, am not certain. Good luck.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:22 PM

Thanks for the info - It goes through the positions like normal, feels right, etc. - just doesn't show up right on the display... not the end of the world, just something to trigger my OCD.

I've looked under the dash, can't find anything that even looks close. I've looked under the truck, can't find anything that looks close. Even though it's the E4OD, I can't imagine this being electronic - it's a damned red plastic things behind a window!

So Bill, you think it's on the shift collar? Would I need to open up the steering column to get to it, or take the instrument panel out of the dash?
Old 10-23-2008, 11:52 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

You may be able to see the cable by removing the instrument cluster bezel, or you may have to remove the cluster too. If you do remove the cluster pull it out slowly and carefully because the cable will still be attached to the column. With the truck off pull the gear selector all the way down to first and note which part of the column rotates with the shifter. The cable will be connected to the forward most part of this, and with it in first it may be easier to see as it will be farther down.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:13 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Yes, take the two column pieces off, should be right in front of you. When you do adjust, check in all positions, its not an exact science. I remember using neutral as starting point, then the linear error is evenly distributed both ways, dig me?
Old 10-24-2008, 05:40 PM

Ok, thanks guys - that'll give me a little weekend project to play with.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:23 PM

Forgot to post results here... I removed the trim piece around the column just under the shift collar. There was the little wire that moves the PRNDL indicator. It had an elongated mounting hole, with a set screw. After a quick bit of fiddling, I got it where it needed to be, 2 screws to put the sleeve back on the column, and it's all done.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 02-20-2012, 12:57 AM

I'm having the same problem. Does anyone have pics to post so I know what I'm looking at? Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is my next thing I have to do, my indicator is pushed all the way to right and just barley moves when selecting gears.

Quick Reply: Gear indicator adjustment