Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

gas tank replacement. NEED HELP ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 11:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default gas tank replacement. NEED HELP ASAP!

ok, so i replaced the gas tank today today and it went rather smoothly, until i started it up. gas started to pour out of the top of the tank. i guess one of the connections was bad? i did check and recheck them and they seemed very tight. i re-used the old fuel line with the same connectors, so could it be that one of those isnt holding tight enough anymore? what do i need to do to get the lines to hold a tight seal. also i kind of need the truck by friday as i am going to the shore friday morning. any help would be extremely appreciated. thanks guys.

Last edited by khasse; 05-26-2010 at 11:08 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doubt it's the lines if you've checked and re-checked. You didn't mention, but did you also replace the Fuel Pump? If so, more than likely the o-ring shifted when you put the put the pump in?? A few dabs of vaselise will hold it in place.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:17 AM
Springer Spaniels Rule

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

As dakeed said, the oring, they are a pain and you have to be careful putting them on.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you took off the fuel lines, you could have lost an o-ring. I would check to see if you have two o-rings per line, with a plastic space in between.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks guys but i figured it out, it was the lines. the clips inside of the connecter were worn from me prying at them to get the lines off of the fuel pump. and yes, it is a new fuel pump, but i bought a package with the pump already installed inside the tank. thanks for the responses guys

Quick Reply: gas tank replacement. NEED HELP ASAP!