Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Fuel Tank and Line Replacement...Lemonade from Lemons?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 07:48 PM

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Fuel Tank and Line Replacement...Lemonade from Lemons?

So, I'm hoping for some advice/help with fuel lines...... I dropped my aft fuel tank (single tank model) out of my 92 4x4 last weekend with the naive thought that I would have an easy swap on my hands....it never ends that way.....

I bought replacement F1G tank a couple of weeks ago and slathered it up with Herculiner (along with a new pair of straps) and bought a new Delphi pump (I heard that they are more reliable than Airtex or other replacements) and a Motorcraft fuel level sender unit. All appeared to be baller......then came the actual work..... Two of the OEM mounting bolts were so badly rusted that I had to cut them off and drill the bolts out (par for the course with a 21 year-old truck, I suppose). Then I had some issues releasing the quick connect from the fuel return line. After fighting with it for two hours I consulted a mechanic friend who suggested that I just disengage the hanger lock ring and drop the tank, thus having a better angle on the troublesome return line connector. So.... well the lock ring was in pretty bad shape and my attempts to remove it nearly resulted in damage to all of the notches that are meant to facilitate its removal. Thankfully, the last one didn't bend flat and I was able to remove it, pull the hanger assembly out of the tank, and drop the tank.....only to have the angle to see that one of the barbs on the return line quick connect was bent and was thus preventing me from removing it with the disconnect tool(s) (I have many varieties at this point).

Now, to the point(s). First, F--- whatever Ford engineering team that designed these fuel line quick connectors. Second, I have seen kits for other Ford truck/Bronco models that have the parts for a complete replacement of the OEM fuel lines with nylon lines that have connectors designed by someone with at least a triple-digit IQ. Does anyone know of any kits that would work for a 92 F-150 (4.9L I6)? I found a kit for a 1990-1996 full-size bronco with the 5.0 or 5.8 motor at Bronco Graveyard (http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-...ne-kit-v8.html). Will this fit? If so, will I need anything other than what's in the kit?

If I can get this figured out then I will post the pics and part numbers, etc., that I have been taking along the way on this thread. I know that doesn't sound like much of a promise, but my truck was in rough shape when I bought it and I am in the process of getting her cleaned up and prepared for the next 20 years of her life!

Thanks!
Old 11-05-2013, 09:48 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

That looks neat, much like the new slave I got that doesn't need the line removal tool anymore.

It's for a Bronco, so they will be short. Unless you have the front tank instead of rear, then they will be long.

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank and Line Replacement...Lemonade from Lemons?