Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

fuel/tank issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel/tank issue

Yes this 4x2 4.9L 5spd manual has the two tanks.
Yes it has some of the back flow problem but hardly any from front to back
so mostly from back to front tank. So I use the rear first, then use the front.
This one will stop back flowing if you keep the front tank full and use the back one...so far that is. But now it has started to refuse to start on
occasion. The dealer says the fuel pump is going out and that you must change both of them at the same time...$500 !!!
Someone else told me that if the selector switch is bad it will give the same symptoms so just change that first.
I do believe that some of you have had this problem and eliminated one of the tanks. Can you tell me how that is done ? Or is there another solution to this issue...
Old 08-09-2012, 11:02 PM
It's a Canadian thing eh!

Received 195 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Raymond S.
Yes this 4x2 4.9L 5spd manual has the two tanks.
Yes it has some of the back flow problem but hardly any from front to back
so mostly from back to front tank. So I use the rear first, then use the front.
This one will stop back flowing if you keep the front tank full and use the back one...so far that is. But now it has started to refuse to start on
occasion. The dealer says the fuel pump is going out and that you must change both of them at the same time...$500 !!!
Someone else told me that if the selector switch is bad it will give the same symptoms so just change that first.
I do believe that some of you have had this problem and eliminated one of the tanks. Can you tell me how that is done ? Or is there another solution to this issue...
If you have between 91 and 96, you don't have a multifunction reservoir. Since you have cross filling on both tanks, just repair the 1 fuel pump if you only want to use one and you can temporarily connect the fuel line from the other pump together until you feel like repairing the other tank or removing it all together.
The following users liked this post:
Raymond S. (08-10-2012)
Old 08-11-2012, 09:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just went through this. i had all intentions of re arranging the fuel lines to only run one tank but once i got the bed off the lines were either hard line or braided stainless and i didnt want to cut and splice either. i guess i was hoping just for regular rubber efi hose...in the end i paid like another 80 bucks for a spectra pump and put it in the other tanks.

unless you buy motorcraft pumps, its no where near 500 dollars in parts. i took the bed off to get at the tanks. once off it took around half hour per pump to replace, not bad at all
Raymond S. (08-12-2012)
Old 08-11-2012, 10:08 AM
Springer Spaniels Rule

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Global automotive on ebay has them for $23.00 ea, just the cartridge pump itself, with lifetime warranty. Doing new front tank and pump today, new rear pump next weekend.
Raymond S. (08-12-2012)
Old 03-19-2024, 07:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sylver91
If you have between 91 and 96, you don't have a multifunction reservoir. Since you have cross filling on both tanks, just repair the 1 fuel pump if you only want to use one and you can temporarily connect the fuel line from the other pump together until you feel like repairing the other tank or removing it all together.
Oops, I responded to an old thread, and it wasn’t even on topic… sorry

Last edited by stereotypeit; 03-19-2024 at 07:51 PM.

Quick Reply: fuel/tank issue