Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

The fuel supply saga continues....again!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 05:10 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question The fuel supply saga continues....again!

I have the 96 back in the shop again this evening. I recently had the bed off to do some repair, intending to install new fuel pumps, rear brake lines and some repair to the bumper mounting area.

In the process, I found the fuel tanks rusty with some damp spots around the tank straps. Ordered new tanks and got the rear tank, pump and straps all replaced then to find that I was shipped a 16 gallon tank instead of a 19 gallon tank that I needed for the forward midship tank. SO I had to do a work around to allow me to use the vehicle until the correct mid ship tank arrives. It came in yesterday and I was driving to the shop so I stopped to get a spot of fuel to keep her going until I got everything changed out. "spot" being the key word here. In the process of pumping the fuel, I glanced down to see a wet spot being stained into the concrete which appeared to be in the shape of a dollar sign! Yep, looked underneath and found fuel dripping from the fuel tank filler neck at a point where the neck is clamped to the bottom of the bed with a hose clamp.

I have her up in the air now and the fuel filler neck is so weak from rust that when I clamped it back in place the torque of the hose clamp just collapsed it just enough to start the leak. With the other tank still out, I took a good look at that filler neck also, its just as bad.

Looking at prices for a new filler neck, I find prices ranging from 108.00 on the net to 191.99 at my local NAPA. It looks to me like this sheet metal tube that is so rusty and crusty could be replaced with an equivalent size rubber hose and continue to use the existing smaller rubber vent tube inside. Anyone have any experience doing this? I also see a company called Filler Tube.com has a stub neck that mounts similar to the OEM, but appears to use tube to replace the sheetmetal tube that has rusted out, but their web site did not give a lot of info.

Anyone have any experience doing this? Appreciate any help, thoughts, comments.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:22 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Rock Auto looks like they have some for under $100.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:13 PM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by needshave
nd crusty could be replaced with an equivalent size rubber hose and continue to use the existing smaller rubber vent tube inside. Anyone have any experience doing this? I also see a company called Filler Tube.com has a stub neck that mounts similar to the OEM, but appears to use tube to replace the sheetmetal tube that has rusted out, but their web site did not give a lot of info.

Anyone have any experience doing this? Appreciate any help, thoughts, comments.
Not sure about your question but I got my filler necks from that site for my truck. It's a utility bed so it had to be longer and I had to McGuyver it. I needed 2 pieces and a connecting piece.

I had emailed them and they were pretty good at responding to my questions. A little more pricey but that was before I knew about Rock Auto.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:55 PM
Old Timer

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

http://www.lmctruck.com/ford/