Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Fuel gauge issue totally baffled

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 01:01 PM
lost my Car again...

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Fuel gauge issue totally baffled

Ever since I torn apart my dash to upgrade to LEDs my fuel guage for some reason was stuck, I pulled everything apart again and reset the needle just to be safe but now it goes right Down past E however when I unplug the dash bezel (where the tank selector switch would be) it goes back up and stop like its reading properly. What the hell did I break?
First picture is the key on engine off with dash bezel unplugged the second is key on engine off with it plugged in... Any help would be great.!

Fuel gauge issue totally baffled-image-1166575040.jpg
Attached Thumbnails Fuel gauge issue totally baffled-image-3340165622.jpg  
Old 04-14-2014, 01:21 PM

Received 102 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by TheCollector
Ever since I torn apart my dash to upgrade to LEDs my fuel guage for some reason was stuck, I pulled everything apart again and reset the needle just to be safe but now it goes right Down past E however when I unplug the dash bezel (where the tank selector switch would be) it goes back up and stop like its reading properly. What the hell did I break?
First picture is the key on engine off with dash bezel unplugged the second is key on engine off with it plugged in... Any help would be great.!
You say where the switch "would be", is it a single tank truck or did you take the switch out?
Old 04-14-2014, 01:30 PM
lost my Car again...

It's a single tank no switch. Just the plate like thing to plug in the wires.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:50 PM

It's a single tank no switch. Just the plate like thing to plug in the wires.
Have you tried using just a jumper wire across the fuel gauge terminals? If you do that and it works fine then the plate thing might have corroded/bad connections? When you unplug it it shouldn't read anything I thought.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:01 PM
lost my Car again...

It seems that when unplugged it stays in one spot does not move even if I put fuel in. And I know that it shouldn't read at all that's what's getting me frustrated lol it moves only when plugged in and just goes right past E bottoming out the needle.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:54 PM

It seems that when unplugged it stays in one spot does not move even if I put fuel in. And I know that it shouldn't read at all that's what's getting me frustrated lol it moves only when plugged in and just goes right past E bottoming out the needle.
But you tried a jumper wire on the plug? You could try grounding the gauge to see if it pegs full, isn't that how you test a gauge? If it isn't the gauge it might be the float or the connection on the pump.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:04 PM
lost my Car again...

I will try to ground the gauge, I don't know how to test the gauges however it does move lol just not reading. What wire do I ground?
Old 04-14-2014, 03:33 PM

I will try to ground the gauge, I don't know how to test the gauges however it does move lol just not reading. What wire do I ground?
That one wire, lol. I don't know. Never had to test the fuel gauge. I know the temp gauge can be grounded to test it, but I think that's only a two wire hookup. Not sure what the fuel gauge has.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:41 PM
lost my Car again...

Well I would like more input lol considering you never tested it and I would prefer not to burn it out....
Old 04-14-2014, 04:11 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Grounded gauge goes all the way one way, ungrounded gauge goes all the way the other way.

Quick Reply: Fuel gauge issue totally baffled