Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Frame alteration

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 09:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Frame alteration

I was watching one of these auto shows over the weekend. I did not catch it all. However they had taken a long bed truck and cut the frame and made a short bed.
My truck has a long bed and it has been wrecked. Only body damage. Has anyone seen this done or done it themselves? If it is doable, obviously so. Since I need to replace my bed I would prefer a short bed.

If anyone has any info at can direct me to it, I would appreciate it.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:26 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

It's do-able - I have a buddy who is building a franken-ford standard cab short bed powerstroke. You'e gotta cut about 18" of frame out of the center to get it to line up correctly. I'll see if I can get more info.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BLDTruth
It's do-able - I have a buddy who is building a franken-ford standard cab short bed powerstroke. You'e gotta cut about 18" of frame out of the center to get it to line up correctly. I'll see if I can get more info.
I appreciate that. I did not actually see how they cut the frame, but when they were putting back together it appeared as though they were just bolting the two sections.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:24 PM

Received 95 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by okc lube man
I appreciate that. I did not actually see how they cut the frame, but when they were putting back together it appeared as though they were just bolting the two sections.
Yeah no that's definitely something you want to weld back together.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:39 PM

Received 95 Likes on 89 Posts

I don't know what show you saw it on but this is the one I saw. It's on an old Chevy but the same concept applies.

Quick Reply: Frame alteration