Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Ford F-150 Shutting Down At Speed!

Old 07-26-2017, 04:15 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Ford F-150 Shutting Down At Speed!

Hi,
I have an 89 Ford F-150 XLT Lariet 2 WD Mazda 5 speed with a 4.9L EFI Engine.

Driving one day The engine went crazy and I limped home a short distance.

Pulled the codes and got a "14" PIP Sensor.

Changed out the distributor (300,000 miles)

With a new Spectra/Rockporter, old Motorcraft dizzy was shot!

Timed the truck 10 BTDC and the engine ran like a sewing machine!

Drove it for a few days around the area and was happy all good!

I work out of town about 350 miles away and while driving to work the truck shut down on the Interstate 3 times?

I ran the codes on the side of the Interstate just to see what was going on?

No codes!

I'm now wondering if it is a fuel problem or a Computer problem???

If anyone has any ideas on this I would be happy to listen?

I do not have a fuel pressure tester but will have to get one to find out if it is related?

Thanks!!!
Old 07-26-2017, 09:08 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Yes. You do need to test the fuel pressure. A 4.9 from that early ran at 45 to 60 psi so there's a good chance your pressure is getting low.
Don't waste cash throwing parts at it till you eliminate some likely possibilities.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_1
Yes. You do need to test the fuel pressure. A 4.9 from that early ran at 45 to 60 psi so there's a good chance your pressure is getting low.
Don't waste cash throwing parts at it till you eliminate some likely possibilities.
Hi,
Thanks, a fuel pressure tester is the next buy item!

Then I'll know FUEL or ELECTRONICS!!!
Old 07-27-2017, 11:09 AM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

Agree that if one doesn't know what the problem is, then start eliminating what it's not - and the fuel pressure check is a good start towards dividing and conquering.
Perhaps getting the cart ahead of the horse, but suspicious here that the new PIP may have taken a dump - electrical stuff seems to either fail early in life, or way on down the road. Seems almost too coincidental that this problem surfaced so soon after remedying another issue without somehow being related.
Also agree with Chris_1's advice of not shotgunning dollars and parts at the problem - there are resistance specs for the PIP, TFI, and coil to verify before replacing.
Good luck, and keep us posted.
The following users liked this post:
seagiant (07-28-2017)
Old 07-28-2017, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by wde3477
Agree that if one doesn't know what the problem is, then start eliminating what it's not - and the fuel pressure check is a good start towards dividing and conquering.
Perhaps getting the cart ahead of the horse, but suspicious here that the new PIP may have taken a dump - electrical stuff seems to either fail early in life, or way on down the road. Seems almost too coincidental that this problem surfaced so soon after remedying another issue without somehow being related.
Also agree with Chris_1's advice of not shotgunning dollars and parts at the problem - there are resistance specs for the PIP, TFI, and coil to verify before replacing.
Good luck, and keep us posted.
Hi,
I just bought a used Ford OEM Dizzy for my truck.

I'll put it in and see what it does, if it does not work I'll rebuild it and use it.

There is a years warranty on the Spectra, but I'm working and busy and need this truck to run!

I think my back is against the wall on OEM parts for this truck as I am finding Ford is not supporting it anymore! Ha! (U-Pull-It, A GO Go!)

Search this Thread