Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

FLUIDS: Brands and capacities. Please.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 11:18 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default FLUIDS: Brands and capacities. Please.

Hello everyone, I just bought a neglected 1992 F150 Custom with 4.9 and auto trans, regular cab, long bed, dual fuel tanks and I have all kinds of questions. Oh, it has 149,000 miles and I have zero service history on it.

First of all, how much oil does the 4.9 liter take during an oil change?
Next, what weight oil should I be using?
Is there any reason NOT to go to a semi-synthetic or high mileage oil?
What filter does everyone suggest? I prefer Motorcraft unless there's a better choice.

Next, my lovely, shuddering E40D transmission. I'm planning on pulling the pan next weekend and replacing the trans fluid and filter. I've been reading that some torque converters have drain plugs, some don't. If mine is equipped with one, I intend to drain it as well, will be picking up 4 gallons of trans fluid. Now, I've heard/read to stick with Mercon, not Mercon V or anything like that, just plain Mercon. Problem is, I don't know what brand to get as I've read the E40D is very very picky. Some guys say use Valvoline high mileage, but I searched 4 parts strores and Walmart and can't Valvoline high mileage that isn't Mercon-V so was thinking of just plain Valvoline OR I found a high mileage Castrol that's just Dex/Merc that might work. And of course there's standard Castrol Dex/Merc as well, but I thought the high mileage stuff might be better. This is where I need your input and suggestions. Also, should I add Lucas additive or that Dr.Tranny Shudder Fixx when I'm done?

Next, it's 2WD and I have no idea if/when rear diff was ever serviced. That looks pretty simple but..I have no owners manual or repair manual (yet) so need to know diff fluid weight and capacity. I'm thinking full synthetic 75w90 and 2 quarts ??
Was going to use the new Lucas rear diff fluid unless there's a reason not to, or there's a better choice.

Well, that's all for now, I'll bug you all about my gas tanks in another thread.
Thank you for your help and advice.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:35 PM

Received 2,210 Likes on 1,690 Posts

http://www.fleet.ford.com/partsandse...owner-manuals/
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 07:05 AM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

No Lucas in a transmission. EVER! Dr. Tranny is fine for the shudder, but other than that, I would put 0 additives in. Regular old Dex/Merc will be fine. High mileage is a plus if you can find it. Everything else, just follow the above link for capacities and such. Lastly, don't forget to add friction modifier if you have a limited slip differential.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:38 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

If you aren't having any issues with oil leaks, do NOT use anything "high mileage." Those oils contain high amounts of esthers that cause seals to swell. I would use a good quality synthetic oil and filter. If you don't have any history, I'd change or at least check all fluids to start your history. When I got my 1994 F150 with 158k, I'm pretty sure the coolant had never been changed. On the rear diff, you're hoping the fluid isn't watery or frothy. If it is, you might have a plugged up breather valve. Changing out the tranny fluid is debated, but I opt to change it with the filter. Just my $0.02...
Old 03-21-2017, 05:40 PM

Well, she's at my buddies shop right now, looks like the oil pan gasket is blown out so is getting new one-piece gasket and oil change with Motorcraft 5w30 and Motorcraft filter. Next up this weekend is going to be trans service including draining the torque converter if I can and fresh fluid and filter. And, since I'll already be grimy, might replace the rear diff fluid too.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:13 PM

Received 241 Likes on 174 Posts

Here's something to consider. Your 4.9L has a flat tappet cam, so you'd be best served using a motor oil that is catered towards diesels. See if you can find a heavy duty 5w-30 motor oil for your next oil change. That will keep your cam and lifters happy. No need to drain your current stuff, but for future purposes.

As for your E4OD, I prefer Valvoline Maxlife in my E4OD, but others have had problems with Maxlife. Castrol High Mileage seems to be a safe bet.

As for differential, Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-90 is pretty hard to beat. Although, I'd suggest running a generic 75w-90 for 10,000 miles to clean it up, then drain it out and go back with with a top shelf gear oil.

While I'm at it, other fluids:
Power Steering - Valvoline Type F transmission fluid
Brake Fluid - Any DOT3 will do. Just bleed your brakes so you can flush the old stuff out.
Anti-Freeze - Our trucks aren't picky, any brand will do as long as you flush it out.
The following users liked this post:
Kymasabe (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 06:23 PM

Default Thank you.

qdeezy, thank you for all the good info.

Valvoline Max Life isn't Dex/Merc anymore, is now Merc V compatible and everything I've read on this forum says to stay away from Merc V and LV, so I'll go with the Castrol instead.
I found a chart online with viscosity ratings of different rear diff fluids and Amsoil came out on top so, I already ordered 2 quarts of the stuff, but I feel better knowing its' recommended by another member.
Regarding motor oil, if I'm leaning towards a diesel, heavy duty oil, what are your thoughts on something like Shell Rotella oil ?

And thank you on the type-F power steering thing, I didn't know that, I would have topped it off with power steering fluid.

Again, thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:34 PM

Received 241 Likes on 174 Posts

Either Shell Rotella or Chevron Delo will do the trick for your setup.

One clarification with Mercon V. The first iteration of Mercon V was incompatible with Mercon. However, Ford updated Mercon V later on to be backwards compatible with Mercon.

Anything you buy nowadays that meets the Mercon V spec will be Mercon compatible.

With that being said, I'd still say go for the Castrol because the E4OD is so darned picky.