Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Finshed my cheap stereo setup :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 06:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Finshed my cheap stereo setup :)

Just finished a stereo in my 95 singe cab. For the amount into the setup, it sounds very good and may help others that want a cheap setup with minimal work. I did infinity reference speakers in back, but honestly mtx terminators would probably be just as good and are cheaper($29 compared to $59).
I did a jvc stereo with usb/aux input/hd radio and was about $120 shipped, could have gone much cheaper but I wanted usb/aux in and hd radio in the stereo already and not have to add hd radio.
I bought mtx terminator 6.5 speakers for front doors($29 shipped)
and infiity reference for back, but terminator 6x8 would be just as good since the seat blocks the tweeters anyway.
I put 6x8 boom matt on the 6x8 to stop rattle and help mid bass better.
and bought a oemregcabkicker online for under $99 shipped, is made for a 03 Toyota Tacoma but fits perfect behind the seat and can be put all the way back and has a built in 100 watt kicker loaded box with port. Comes with all wires to install, nothing else needed, since amp is 25 watt running a 1ohm sub at 100 watts the box doesnt need wires to battery, just tap into the radio switched wire and ground it to a bolt. Is designed to work this way. It comes with taps to tap into the factory left and right to give sub a signal and was a total 30 minute install. total was around $260 but if you just want to add bass to stock system it works very well. Only downfall is no rca inputs, but sounds better than what I expected and is plenty of bass in the truck, adds alot to the sound.
The kicker custom amplified subwoofer has the same amplifier as they used in the factory kicker sub in the 2009 challengers and many oem systems like the 300 and charger, and takes little power and puts out very good bass and is efficient. The box a few years ago was over $400 but they are getting rid of them now for under $99.
If you want to save even more, leave the back speakers as is, add the $29 MTX terminators in front doors and just add the amplified subwoofer, so for $130 you would have crisp highs and lots of bass and everything is included to hook up, just need a pair or channel lock pliars to crimp the tap connectors for wiring.
Any new radio should work, but I suggest one with a good EQ, mine has 7 band and I can adjust the bass this way, without the eq would be harder to adjust the subwoofer lows output.
I was going to just tap into rear speakers and run a switched wire to battery, but I read somewhere that if it isnt connected at the stereo the amp in sub box will not turn on due to it has to sense the same power that the speakers get power from also, so I just did it as the instructions said in the paperwork.

Last edited by rotwiler; 03-05-2012 at 07:02 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice dude, I already have most of the pieces to my setup. It's taking me a while im trying to stretch it out as much as I can. Already got kicker door speakers, So far I got a good box I had to move my seat up a little bit but only like 5 inches I have it behind the driver seat and it pointed to the passenger side because I don't want it right on the plastic interior. Already have the 1500 Memphis amp I got from my friend for $175 then I'm going with a kicker comp 12

Last edited by BDavis94; 03-05-2012 at 07:39 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya, your going for some big sound. I have a monster setup in my 02 Z28, all sound deadening, 2 Memphis audio DVC 10's in custom flip up box with 2 MTX old school 2150X amps and Kenwood high end head unit with infinty speakers in all 6 spots. For the truck, wanted something cheap, but I like good sound, so had to add a sub and this box does the job. I didnt expect much due to line level with no rcas or adjustments and a tiny amp. but was very happy, it ended up just as I wanted it to sound.

Quick Reply: Finshed my cheap stereo setup :)