Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Finally Tested Fuel System Today

 
Old 02-02-2019, 05:43 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 33
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Finally Tested Fuel System Today

Front tank is totally dead now. No sound from the pump when key is on. Will verify voltage tomorrow, but safe to assume it the pump is dead.

Rear tank, Pump kicks on. can hear it. But no pressure at the rail, big fat 0... I'm putting my money on that pump being shot as well.

Fuel gauge seems stuck on both tanks, one shows totally full the other totally empty. both have at least 10 gallons of fresh gas in them

So shopping around. I find the spectra tank/pump/sending unit ready to install. Price is acceptable to me. Does anyone have any experience with them? reviews seem good but who knows... I personally like the idea of just replacing everything, and had basically expected to do so when I started this project. and getting it all ready to "plug and play" as it were seems too good to pass up.


Last edited by sibo191; 02-02-2019 at 05:48 PM.
sibo191 is offline  
Old 02-03-2019, 01:10 PM
  #2  
Bronco Guru
 
Steve83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Memphis, TN, Earth, Milky Way
Posts: 3,564
Liked 413 Times in 380 Posts
Default

No, assumptions are never safe. And it doesn't seem like you tested anything, based on what you posted there.

Spectra & Airtex are the WORST brands on the market - particularly for fuel pumps. Any kit that contains several parts can be expected to contain the CHEAPEST version of each part - you're paying for someone to put the kit together for you; not for quality parts.

So AFTER you do some real diagnosis to determine what part has actually failed, AND you've determined that it can't be repaired; shop for the BEST replacement - not the cheapest or most-convenient.

To diagnose the '90-04 fuel pump system, read all the captions in this album:


(phone app link)


For the '87-04 fuel level sender, read all these:


(phone app link)
Steve83 is offline  
Old 02-04-2019, 01:22 PM
  #3  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 33
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Steve83 View Post
No, assumptions are never safe. And it doesn't seem like you tested anything, based on what you posted there.

Spectra & Airtex are the WORST brands on the market - particularly for fuel pumps. Any kit that contains several parts can be expected to contain the CHEAPEST version of each part - you're paying for someone to put the kit together for you; not for quality parts.

So AFTER you do some real diagnosis to determine what part has actually failed, AND you've determined that it can't be repaired; shop for the BEST replacement - not the cheapest or most-convenient.

To diagnose the '90-04 fuel pump system, read all the captions in this album:


(phone app link)


For the '87-04 fuel level sender, read all these:


(phone app link)
Don't assume I tested nothing or that the diagnosis was incomplete simply because I didn't write a step by step write up.

I followed the procedure in the Haynes so look that up of you want to see all the steps taken.
sibo191 is offline  
Old 02-04-2019, 01:24 PM
  #4  
ford dealer parts guy
iTrader: (1)
 
djfllmn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 14,346
Liked 956 Times in 789 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by sibo191 View Post
Front tank is totally dead now. No sound from the pump when key is on. Will verify voltage tomorrow, but safe to assume it the pump is dead.

Rear tank, Pump kicks on. can hear it. But no pressure at the rail, big fat 0... I'm putting my money on that pump being shot as well.

Fuel gauge seems stuck on both tanks, one shows totally full the other totally empty. both have at least 10 gallons of fresh gas in them

So shopping around. I find the spectra tank/pump/sending unit ready to install. Price is acceptable to me. Does anyone have any experience with them? reviews seem good but who knows... I personally like the idea of just replacing everything, and had basically expected to do so when I started this project. and getting it all ready to "plug and play" as it were seems too good to pass up.
as steve83 said..do NOT buy a spectra unless you like doing the same job over and over again. If it is indeed the pump that is bad, go with a name brand one like delphi or bosch
djfllmn is offline  
Old 02-04-2019, 06:42 PM
  #5  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 33
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by djfllmn View Post
as steve83 said..do NOT buy a spectra unless you like doing the same job over and over again. If it is indeed the pump that is bad, go with a name brand one like delphi or bosch
Been shopping around for other options sadly spectra has the most market representation, and so far all i could find is motorcraft and spectra with the whole pump/sending unit/hanger assembly together. granted I haven't looked very hard yet.
sibo191 is offline  
Old 02-05-2019, 11:52 AM
  #6  
Bronco Guru
 
Steve83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Memphis, TN, Earth, Milky Way
Posts: 3,564
Liked 413 Times in 380 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by sibo191 View Post
Don't assume I tested nothing...
I didn't assume anything - I looked at what you posted. If you want help, you need to post what you're doing & seeing - don't get snippy.
Originally Posted by sibo191 View Post
I'm probably going to replace the whole fuel system... Any cons to it?
Yes. Aftermarket parts are typically lower-quality & less-reliable than OE. And I doubt the fuel lines or rail are available new anywhere. Find the problems, and repair them with the best parts you can get, using the proper procedures. Leave everything else alone until it's due on the maintenance schedule.
Originally Posted by sibo191 View Post
Also thinking about a disk conversion for the back... Pros/cons?
It's expensive, more complicated than most people realize, and a big risk if you get something wrong. It will not help the truck moreso than simply maintaining the original brakes properly. Depending on how you do it, the pads could be difficult to find when they need replacement. The only "pro" I can think of is that disks are easier to keep clean, which is why I'm doing it to my beater Bronco. But I'm using a factory disk axle, so pads & other parts will be common.


(phone app link)
Originally Posted by sibo191 View Post
After cleaning what do You guys suggest to prime/paint with to stop it. I'm asking in regards to fumes and over spray under the dash.
Don't paint inside the truck. The steering intermediate shaft is very easy to R&I. Pull the AB-38-C bolts at each end of 3B676, compress the top end of the shaft out through the firewall boot, and lift it out of the truck.


(phone app link)


I wouldn't prime it since it has to telescope. Just clean it and paint it with
Rustoleum Automotive Gloss Black 252462 Rustoleum Automotive Gloss Black 252462
. It will need to dry thoroughly before being compressed again for installation, so plan for the truck to be down a day. But for things that DO need primer, I'd use
Rustoleum Primer/Sealer 249321 Rustoleum Primer/Sealer 249321
. Both are usually available at WalMart and parts stores.

Last edited by Steve83; 02-05-2019 at 12:00 PM.
Steve83 is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finally Tested Fuel System Today


Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: