Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Ever Pay out of Pocket in Accident?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 05:03 PM
IDM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ever Pay out of Pocket in Accident?

I rear ended a lady at slow speed. She needs some paint work on her bumper and trunk lid. I think it'll be about $1k. Wouldn't it be worth it to pay out of pocket instead of my premiums rising from here on out forever?

Ive never been in an accident and have no points on my license.

I think my deductible is 1000 as well but not sure if Id need to pay that in this case, if so then it's a no brainer.

Have you guys ever had to do this and what did you decide insurance or out of pocket?
thanks
Old 02-13-2014, 05:11 PM
Beach bumming it...

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

If your deductible is $1k than do not claim it. If it is just paint work it should not be that much for just her bumper and trunk lid. Unless the shop you or they take it too rips you off.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:21 PM
Super user

Received 197 Likes on 134 Posts

Once a body shop opens up the car, there will be hidden damage, I 100% guarantee it, especially if they find out you are paying the freight.

I would turn it into your insurance, because when she comes back in a few weeks saying she has neck pain, you are going to want your insurance on your side for that battle...... been there, done that.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:55 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Spectragod
Once a body shop opens up the car, there will be hidden damage, I 100% guarantee it, especially if they find out you are paying the freight.

I would turn it into your insurance, because when she comes back in a few weeks saying she has neck pain, you are going to want your insurance on your side for that battle...... been there, done that.
You are taking a big chance not using your insurance in this world of SUE HAPPY people.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've paid out of pocket it's easier but these guys are right with the way people are now days...
Old 02-13-2014, 08:00 PM

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

20 years ago, pay out of pocket. Today, insurance. It sucks, but it's because of the way people have become.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:33 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

You don't pay a deductible for damages to the other persons car.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:25 AM

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Was there a police report on this? If so, there's a good chance in a month or so your insurance will go up anyway, even if you didn't claim anything or cost them anything. In extreme causes, some dumb insurance places will either drop you or raise prices so high you drop them, insurance on my house was dropped because of the cost of it a few years back, and our family health insurance also had reached 1,000 a month for a family of 5 at the time. Needless to say not much longer after hitting 1,000 a month we dropped it, that was just ridiculous. Healthy family too. What I'm saying is is that insurance is dumb, but a must have. And if there was a police report on it and it went on your record, there's a good chance insurance is going up anyway, so might as well play it safe and use them to pay for damages.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:09 AM
Drive like you stole it

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Turn it in. My wife just got in a low speed fender bender. Just looked like the bumper cover was cracked. All said and done it was $2500 to repair. There is always more damage underneath. And as already stated. You don't want to pay medical bills out of pocket. It sucks but if you have a good driving record your premiums shouldn't skyrocket.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:17 AM

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

You can also turn it in to your insurance company as "report only", that way they will open a claim, but you can still pay out of pocket. This will protect you if the claim goes over the initial amount, and if she starts to act funny about neck and back pain.

Quick Reply: Ever Pay out of Pocket in Accident?