Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Egr, Smog Delete

Old 06-14-2019, 06:47 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Egr, Smog Delete

Hey guys, been a long time since I signed on. Going to be reviving a 94 f150 with the 5.0. Have most of the body squared away and was turning attention to the engine. (And yes, Iíve done my best to search but having a hard time finding threads. If you can link one you know of, Iíll gladly read it) Anyways, the cat went bad and was rotted to pieces so I cut it off. Turns out it was before both headers meet. There is also a small tube that had to be cut which Iím assuming is the egr tube. Looking for information on deleting the egr and smog so I can get the engine cleaned up and running healthy. Thanks for any help
Old 06-14-2019, 07:11 AM

Received 73 Likes on 64 Posts

You won't clean up the engine by deleting emission devices. That tube is fed by the air pump and has nothing to do with the way the engine runs and without a converter, won't do much. If your state has emission testing for 94's, good luck in passing.I would not delete the EGR valve unless you enjoy hearing your engine ping, which likely would occur.

Last edited by raski; 06-14-2019 at 07:13 AM.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:57 AM
Bronco Guru

Received 456 Likes on 417 Posts

The engine runs best with ALL the factory systems working as designed. The caption of this diagram explains how each system benefits the engine:

(phone app link)

And regardless of state or local laws or inspections, federal law requires them to work for the vehicle to be legal on ANY public road. Watch the news - local laws are likely to change soon, requiring more-stringent inspections on older vehicles.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:00 AM

Received 170 Likes on 139 Posts

You're pre OBD2, so you don't have downstream o2 sensors. Your pickup won't even know they're gone.

As far as EGR, unplugging it will throw a CEL.

My 94 mustang gt runs fine without any of the emissions equipment.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:43 AM

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

One thing that I have never seen mentioned regarding the EGR setup that might help out quite a few people...........

In tearing some of these engines down, what I have found is that the EGR passage on the lower intake is either nearly or completely blocked with crud due to either a lack of maintenance or something else that happened during the engine's life that caused a buildup. In fact, I have even seen intakes that are cleaned off, but yet there is still crud in the EGR area.

Lots of times when people have EGR problems that they can't get rid of, what is required is to remove the lower intake and completely clean that EGR area of the intake out from all sides.

After removing the intake and looking at the bottom of it, there is a metal shroud on the bottom of the intake below where the EGR connects that you may have to bend back to be able to get in there and get that crud out. When bending it back into place, a ball peen hammer has worked well for me to bend it back down in place. Some models may have screws where you can just unscrew it and remove it to clean out that area.

Then, clean the side part that connects to the head. Then, clean out the top part that connects to the EGR tube. If the EGR tube is difficult to remove from the lower intake, spray some WD-40 or some PB blaster or whatever your favorite penetrating oil is on it and let it sit for a few hours. That has worked well for me will usually get it loose.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:47 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Thank you all for the input. It will stay the way it is then. I will try to get a picture of the tube going to the exhaust that was cut. Will it harm anything in being cut?
Old 06-17-2019, 10:49 AM

Received 170 Likes on 139 Posts

You're talking about the smog pump air line? It's just gonna pump some air, nothing worth worrying about.....
Old 06-17-2019, 10:53 PM
Bronco Guru

Received 456 Likes on 417 Posts

Well, it's illegal. Even in places that don't do inspections YET...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Egr, Smog Delete

Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: