Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

dual tanks no more?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 12:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default dual tanks no more?

Ok i got a 87 F150 I6 and it has dual tanks the front 1 is rusted thew and my back 1 got a lil more life in it, and when i hav the switch on the rear tank it pumps it thew the front tank and then to the motor my question is wht can i do for a cheap fix? my idea was to disconnect the front tank and just take it out and leav the rear tank but wht do i do with the switching device the 1 on the dash and the 1 on the frame rail under the truck? i need to get it fixd cuz i herd my area is guna b getting snow next week all i got to drive is my 89 tbird or crapppy volkswagen jetta
any help advice will be apprecitated thanks guys
Old 11-21-2009, 07:52 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I know that you can convert to 1 tank, I am just not sure how to bypass the switch on the frame rail. Have you tried a search of the forum yet? Some issues have been discussed many times and you may find the answer you are looking for.

Good luck.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:44 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

The switch on the frame is called the dual function reservoir, change it with a good one and the fuel will stop being pumped into the bad tank. Then you can fix the tank later. Either that or you have to get a single function reservoir which will eliminate the extra hook ups for the extra tank, that's what the single tank trucks have.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:28 PM

yea i think im guna go with the single function reservoir but is ther anyway to test it ??? cuz if i get 1 im prolly guna go to pick and pull and take 1 or as many i find in wht i think is ok condition but is ther anyway to test them?? thanks for the help guys
Old 11-23-2009, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 96 and i replaced my back tank only to discover my front tank was shot too. All i did was remove the tank and the hardware, plugged up the hoses with a bolt and some electrical tank and left the switch on the rear tank. Kinda crappy way to do it but a plan on getting a new tank and setting it back up, but it's worked for over a year now and still no leaks(atleast from mpg stand). may be a quick fix for now untill you can get the time and $, good luck.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:53 AM
We'd do it

The only way I know to test one is to put it on the truck and see if it works. You don't have to test the single function reservoir, it doesn't have the valving.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:03 PM

ok yea im guna try to get up to pick and pull and see if i can find a couple of the single function reservoirs i lookd at mine and it looks like it should b easy to do not that its hard but guna have to do it on rocks and mud and its around the mid 30s so it should b fun lol for the love of automotives i gess after i get it hookd up ill let u guys kno how it workd out
Old 11-24-2009, 07:12 PM

kinda along the same subject, i wanted to take out one of my tanks but would like to replace the one left with a larger capacity. i've looked in a few catalogs, but it seems only specific years you can do this with. seems to make sense to me to have one big tank instead of two smaller ones...has anyone done this?
Old 11-25-2009, 12:28 AM
We'd do it

I think they use the Bronco tank in place of the rear tank. You won't be able to mount your spare under the truck anymore.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:21 AM

haha that won't be a problem! truck didn't come with a spare (or mount for that matter) so my spare is sitting in the bed. i'll definitely look into the bronco tank.

Quick Reply: dual tanks no more?