Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Dual tanks

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual tanks

I recently bought a 92 F150 that has two fuel tanks. I filled both tanks to see how long they could last me. Earlier today I was driving down a side road to see if the fuel tank selector worked properly. When I switched from front to rear, my truck died. So I stopped and switched back to front and it started up again just fine. Any idea what's wrong? Also, does anyone know what kind of selection mechanism this model uses (three-point, six-port, etc)? Thanks
​​​
​​​​​​
​​
Old 06-05-2018, 05:40 PM

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts

I don't think the 92 uses any sort of valve to switch. The pump which is running just supplies the fuel, the one that isn't running is supposed to have a check valve to stop back flow. The likely cause of your problem is a failed pump in the rear tank. Most of the ones for sale are running on one pump, many folks are content to just use the remaining tank. I tend to fix mine, I like the redundancy. there are 2 schools of thought on the repair, drop the tank, or remove the bed, I like remove the bed, especially in a case like yours, where the tank is full. There is also a geographical factor; in the south west, where rust is minimal, getting the bed off is much less of a challenge, than in the rust belt.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:39 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Click these & read the captions:

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

Quick Reply: Dual tanks