Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Does anyone have a picture how to on U-joints?

Old 04-26-2009, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Does anyone have a picture how to on U-joints?

Im really intimidated by the words used in the manual. I just want to see how its done really.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:19 AM

Unbolt your ujoint caps or companion flange on the rear end side, slide it out of the trans, and take to fisher auto parts store or any machine shop for that matter and they should install them relativly cheap. Or just use a pair or needle nose to undo the snap rings and a brass drift or socket to hammer old caps out, then install new ones. Be sure not to brennal (sp) the trunnions though as premature failure will occur.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:17 AM

Dont know if this applies to the f150 but i googled u-joints just to know what the heck it is and this popped up in the results:
Old 04-27-2009, 07:47 AM

yep yours should be almost exactly the same as that seems to be a 1330 series companion flange. He calls it saddle but same thing.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:46 PM

Received 120 Likes on 97 Posts

My buddy whom is a mechanic is putting them in, as well as sway bar link ends, and a serp belt for $70.00 cash. I figured by the time I messed around with not having a lift, doing the work, etc.... my day was better off spent doing something else.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:29 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

One thing not shown in that clip, after driving in the cups you need to whack the driveshaft near the u-joint to relieve tension on the u-joint. After driving in the u-joint you will see that it pivots hard unless you relieve the tension.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:24 PM

So do you think it would be a job I can do?
Old 04-30-2009, 09:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Boogerburns....sure you can do this job. BUT I recommend you do it on a work bench with a vise.

Since I used to build drive shafts years ago I disagree with some of the procedures the video showed.

I noticed he had hammer marks on the yoke and that is a no..no. To prevent that in disassembly you need to use a ball peen hammer and another hammer ball side against the snap ring and slightly rap. This will loosen the snap ring against the cap. Take snap ring out and turn yoke over repeat the same thing against the snap ring Take snap ring out.
Now lay the yoke on top of vise with it open to let yoke ears lay on top of vise jaws.
With a punch gently drive with hammer the cap on bottom side out by pushing top cap inward.
This pervents nicks and bruises to outside of yoke.
NOW repeat the same procedure for the flange yoke. Clean out the snap ring groves as shown in video. That part was done correctly.

To install: the vise becomes your best friend. Find you a 1/2 inch common old nut this will be your driver. Take the ujoint as shown in the video and put inside of yoke....but lay yoke on it's side. before putting bearing caps in ears of yoke take some heavy grease on your finger and wipe inside of bearing caps so needles will not drop, this is a must.
Next open vise so ears will fit inside take bearing cap and hand insert in yoke keeping ujoint journal tight against ear use vise to press in bearing cap until flush. Next take the other bearing cap and slide journal over next to it using the vise press cap in yoke until flush.
Next get the 1/2 inch nut i mentioned before and open your vise more let nut be against in side of snap area pressing against bearing cap gently tighten vise until you see snap ring groove. Install snap ring and then use nut on other side same as before gently press it in until you see snap ring groove, install snap ring.
Repaet this for the flange yoke and you will be near done with this; not dropping any needles and not banging the yoke.
Last step after all is installed hand test the feel of bearings to make sure the ujoint is seated properly take drive shaft in hand and lightly rap yoke in the U shape area and the bearing will be free to move and will be seated.
ready to install back in truck.

Just remember the heavy grease and you will do fine.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:24 PM

I grabbed some grease for my hubs for the rotor job. Will this suffice? and this sounds kind of easy, if you have the vise. and also I just have to take my time and not damage this thing.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:05 AM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Using a hammer works equally well, but don't hit the driveshaft except to relieve the tension on the u-joint. When I drive the cups in I hold the u-joint up to keep the bearings from falling over. I also use an old socket to drive in the cups to keep from hitting the driveshaft. If the cup doesn't seat all the way, most likely one of the bearings fell over. The extra grease isn't really necessary, but high temperature wheel bearing grease is fine if you want to use it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does anyone have a picture how to on U-joints?