Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Dash repair

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 12:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dash repair

This is a crack where my headlight switch is mounted. I can squeeze it together with my fingers. Does anyone have any experience or advice on "glueing" it back together? I say glueing for the lack of a better term right now.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:21 PM

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

My $0.02

I've tried a few model glue-type adhesives on interior plastic and they all suck. Next time I'm going to use regular plumber's cement. It's rated for both PVC and ABS and will actually melt the two parts together, unlike the smell-safe junk that passes for model glue nowadays. If anyone has tried this please share...

No matter what adhesive you use you should pull that torx screw out, enlarge the hole in the plastic such that the screw is not wedging the crack apart, then put a large washer on the back-side to distribute more pressure onto the surrounding plastic and tighten the screw snugly.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would pull the bolt out and put a washer behind it.
Then I would drill 2 holes. One on either side of the crack and run a zip tie through it to pull the crack together.
Finally I would use jb weld to seal it all up. My $.02
Old 07-06-2016, 10:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah plan was to pull headlight switch, and get that out of the way. Just wasn't sure if anyone had a good glue or ideas of such. I appreciate the responses. I was thinking JB weld but that plumbers sealant sounds like a decent idea. I may have to experiment a little with both to see which one might hold better.

Quick Reply: Dash repair