Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Crankcase air emissions filter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 10:12 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Crankcase air emissions filter?

Can someone tell me where this goes? I have a 96 F150 4.9L straight 6. It was on my list iof maintenance items, so along with changing the tranny and transfer case oil, and getting a new PCV valve and serpentine belt, I got one of these filters at the parts store and have no idea where it goes!! It's rectangulat shaped, about 4" X 2" and about an inch thick. It is made of some kind a paper-type filter material, and one side is plastic with a approx 1/2" diameter tube that hooks up to a hose.
The only think I can think of is that on the crankcase cover, just behind the oil filler cap, is a cover that attaches to a hose that leads to the air unit. But there is definitely no place that this filter would fit in that assembly. Any ideas? BTW, a previous owner did upgrade the air unit to a K&M filter, if you think that might have something to do with it.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:14 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Under the air filter in the air box where the hose runs to there's a rectangular compartment it fits right in.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:36 AM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

^^ like he said but you will have to remove the old one, there is usually a sliding clip on the outside of the box (firewall side) that holds the tube/filter in place.

Even if he changed the setup there should still be a tube coming out of the crankcase that leads to were the airbox used to be.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:29 AM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

I know the maf 302 no longer has a breather filter not sure about the 4.9 maf.
The following users liked this post:
flareside crazy (04-14-2014)
Old 04-14-2014, 12:48 PM

Received 56 Likes on 54 Posts

sdmartin65 thank you for saying this ive been worried about mine because I don't have a filter on mine and I wasn't sure I was suppose to have one or not lol is it normal to have a little oil in your intake tube where it hooks up to valve cover
Old 04-14-2014, 02:05 PM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

If the motor has some miles or if mods have been made to the intake/top end the pcv might not be flowing enough to evacuate the crankcase, causing oil to accumulate in the intake tube.

An example of a company that sells an adjustable pcv is MEWagner. Look it up there is a lot of useful information.

I prefer to make my own as it's quite a bit cheaper. Grind the end of a pcv and remove the valve/spring. Fill the pcv with fast steel putty then drill a 1/8" hole thru the putty. Install this and check vacuum at dipstick at idle, should be 1 to 3 hg. If vacuum is too low drill the hole slightly larger and test again. It's an easy fix to get the crankcase venting properly.

Crankcase air emissions filter?-image-1658016008.jpg

I've seen the statement " why would I want to run dirty crankcase vapors back through my engine" on this and other forums. This is just a lack of understanding of how the pcv system functions. A properly functioning pcv will keep the engine running clean. Look at the MEWagner website.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:27 PM

thanks man I will definitely check it out
Old 04-15-2014, 08:11 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ol' Navy
Under the air filter in the air box where the hose runs to there's a rectangular compartment it fits right in.
Hmmmmm. It looks like the K&N filter that the previous owner installed bypasses all of that. Hopefully, I attached the picture correctly - if I did, you can see a tube coming out from the valve cover (just behind the oil fill cap) and going directly into the air cleaner outlet tube. You can see the K&N filter at the bottom right of the pic. Is this a bad setup? It would be easy to get rid of the K&N filter and replace it with a stock air intake - do you think I should do this?
Attached Files
File Type: doc
4.9new.doc (44.5 KB, 132 views)
Old 04-15-2014, 08:46 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by joegeds
Hmmmmm. It looks like the K&N filter that the previous owner installed bypasses all of that. Hopefully, I attached the picture correctly - if I did, you can see a tube coming out from the valve cover (just behind the oil fill cap) and going directly into the air cleaner outlet tube. You can see the K&N filter at the bottom right of the pic. Is this a bad setup? It would be easy to get rid of the K&N filter and replace it with a stock air intake - do you think I should do this?
That setup should be just fine. I have a cone filter and this is what I did:

Crankcase air emissions filter?-image-1748275370.jpg

Crankcase air emissions filter?-image-2192119804.jpg

Crankcase air emissions filter?-image-3782340557.jpg

Crankcase air emissions filter?-image-3858969656.jpg

Crankcase air emissions filter?-image-3925851582.jpg
Old 04-15-2014, 01:33 PM

see now I just ran the filter straight off the valve cover with the same air filter that you used ol navy...do you think that I need to bring it into my air intake hose or will this be okay?

Quick Reply: Crankcase air emissions filter?