Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

cooling questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 08:56 PM
Off road rebel

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Default cooling questions

What is the cfm of our factory clutch fans? Yes, I am doing electric Fans. I bought one fan with 1250 and an auxiliary with 800. Both will come on at the same time. ( I don't use a/c...period) what temp should I have it preset for on and off...I'm thinking on at 170 ish and off at 200ish, Right or wrong
Old 03-11-2012, 10:04 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

The CFM can depend on which cooling package came with the truck. I think mine is about 2500-3000 Cfm, I can feel and hear it when it engages. On my old van I had the fan come on at 200 and off at 175. The sensor was located about 3/4 down the radiator tank on the cool side.
The OEM electrics seem to be better quality than many of the after market units. Use a relay and the proper size wires. An electric fan will tax your electrical system so make sure its up to snuff. I would wire the fans to come on at different times.
YMMV
rikard
Old 03-11-2012, 11:13 PM

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

You won t believe how much better it works without the clutch fan.
The Electric fans will run a constant speed rather than up and down with engine speed.

I think what you got should be big enough, mine came off a cavalier and cools the six just fine . I would make a bracket of some sort to support the fans off the fan shroud mounts, or off the Rad support, I don t trust the zip tie things that go through the Rad, it s a leak waiting to happen.

This how I framed the one on my Duster, junkyard fan 1x1/4" flat bar, nothing to puncture the rad, note the relay, and NHRA legal 12oz overflow tank, crude, and cheap, with a delightful lack of refinement. I need a lighter set up for that car.
the one on my truck is so crude I can t show anyone.

Last edited by Scraptor; 03-11-2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:46 AM
Off road rebel

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Looks good to me...thanks guys...I was just worried that I wasn't pulling enough cfm.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just put on an electric fan from an early 90's taurus 3.0L v-6. this things seriously sucks some juice from the system and move A TON OF air. way more than oem fan. i just upgraded to a 130 amp alt and would HIGHLY recommend it. at a min of 130 amps. mine will still dims my lights and drop my volt meter.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by 1990-5.0-4x4
i just put on an electric fan from an early 90's taurus 3.0L v-6. this things seriously sucks some juice from the system and move A TON OF air. way more than oem fan. i just upgraded to a 130 amp alt and would HIGHLY recommend it. at a min of 130 amps. mine will still dims my lights and drop my volt meter.
Is that the three wire, dual speed fan ? I had fits with her old Taurus burning up relays.
Lincoln mark 8 fans are killer too, and fit a 5.0 rad really well.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Scraptor
Is that the three wire, dual speed fan ? I had fits with her old Taurus burning up relays.
Lincoln mark 8 fans are killer too, and fit a 5.0 rad really well.
yeah it is. i've only got the highspeed hooked up though. i've gone through a couple fuses, but still on the original replay thankfully. i was looking for a dual fan set up, but i couldnt find one. plus it was seriously freezing with freezing rain right after i got to the junkyard. lol just found the closest one to me and pulled it.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by 1990-5.0-4x4
yeah it is. i've only got the highspeed hooked up though. i've gone through a couple fuses, but still on the original replay thankfully. i was looking for a dual fan set up, but i couldnt find one. plus it was seriously freezing with freezing rain right after i got to the junkyard. lol just found the closest one to me and pulled it.
Try running both sides of the motor, the best I can figure, high side and low side run together, low speed runs on its own, the old Taurus we had burned out the low speed side of the motor, I wish I'd never saw that car. Without the low side of the motor the otherside has to torque way harder to get up to a speed where it runs easy, so it pops fuses, btw you can get self resetting circuit breakers thats what's on the power window, and wiper circuits, great for a fan, etc. I m too lazy to Google a pic, so look in your
fuse panel, little gray buggers.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:08 PM

I run 2 electric fans on my 306 and it stays really cool. In town or on long drives
Attached Images  

Last edited by superhemicobraboss; 03-12-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Scraptor
Try running both sides of the motor, the best I can figure, high side and low side run together, low speed runs on its own, the old Taurus we had burned out the low speed side of the motor, I wish I'd never saw that car. Without the low side of the motor the otherside has to torque way harder to get up to a speed where it runs easy, so it pops fuses, btw you can get self resetting circuit breakers thats what's on the power window, and wiper circuits, great for a fan, etc. I m too lazy to Google a pic, so look in your
fuse panel, little gray buggers.
what do you mean run both sides of the motor?

Quick Reply: cooling questions