Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Coolant Temp Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 12:46 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Coolant Temp Sensors

I have a 1994 F150 5.0 XL, and recently changed out the coolant temp sensor for the computer. The truck now runs MUCH better, and now I need to troubleshoot/fix the gauge, which recently quit working. Is the other sensor (the one for the gauge) also used to turn the fan on/off? I'm going to troubleshoot it first, but making sure I'm tracking on ordering the right part if needed. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-10-2017, 01:43 PM

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Others may correct me, but I think the fan clutch is self-regulated. I believe there is a temperature-sensitive component that engages the clutch when the air hitting the fan clutch is hot, and disengages the clutch when it cools off. This is from the air as it passes through the radiator. IOW, the fan doesn't know how hot the engine is directly, it just knows how hot the air is coming though the radiator.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:26 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You are right on the thermal fan clutch. Nothing electronic there. However, these trucks do use a sensor so the computer can compensate based on engine/coolant temp and a separate sender for the guage.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:33 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Ok, I am pretty sure I'm straight now. Rock Auto is a bit confusing in its description of the part. The "gauge" sensor looks similar to the "computer" sensor, but instead of a pigtail connection, the "gauge" sensor is a simple post to connect a wire to. Thanks!
Old 04-11-2017, 08:57 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

The gauge part is actually called a 'sender', while the ECT for the computer is a 'sensor.
You're on the right track. The sender for the gauge on a 302 is on the driver's side of the intake between the 1st and second bolts, roughly.
The sensor for the computer is on the standpipe above the thermostat housing.

The sender for the gauge for a 4.9 is passenger side near the back hidden under the intake/exhaust manifolds