Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

clutch pedal problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch pedal problem

i was wondering if anybody here has any idea what could be wrong with my clutch pedal in my 1994 ford f-150, it seems to be engaing halfway down and grabs right off the floor never did it before yesterday i believe it is a hydraulic clutch but not 100% positive(i dont know how to tell the difference) from upright to about halfway down there is no resistance just wobbles when i get halfway i get the resistance and the clutch starts engaging does anyone have any idea how to adjust this in a way i can understand thanks guys
Old 11-02-2008, 11:36 AM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

Welcome to the site!

It sounds like your clutch is not fully disengaging. You should have a hydraulic clutch, there are no adjustments.

First thing to check would be the fluid level in the clutch master cylinder reservoir. If this is low - may suspect air in the lines which will need to be bled. Suggest to inspect the linkage from the clutch pedal to the master cylinder for any unusual wear or movement. Look for signs of fluid leakage near the bell housing - may be a sign that the slave cylinder has a problem.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by wde3477
Welcome to the site!

It sounds like your clutch is not fully disengaging. You should have a hydraulic clutch, there are no adjustments.

First thing to check would be the fluid level in the clutch master cylinder reservoir. If this is low - may suspect air in the lines which will need to be bled. Suggest to inspect the linkage from the clutch pedal to the master cylinder for any unusual wear or movement. Look for signs of fluid leakage near the bell housing - may be a sign that the slave cylinder has a problem.

thanks, ok checked fluid it is full, i have been reading on bleeding it but where exactly is the bleeder located?, there is no leaks anywhere, where exactly is the slave cylinder located, i suspect the master cylinder is where you check the fluid but not sure where the slave cylinder is thanks
Old 11-02-2008, 11:49 AM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

Most slave cylinders are inside the bell housing, with a bleed port that extends out. The master cylinder typically sits underneath the reservoir.

If you haven't had any clutch work done recently and haven't had to add fluid - that would push the 'air in the system' cause further down the list of suspects.

Wondering if perhaps your master cylinder may not be bypassing?
The following users liked this post:
maryann (03-07-2014)
Old 11-02-2008, 04:46 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Along with checking for fluid around the bellhousing and clutch master cylinder, you also need to look in the cab near the clutch master cylinder. They sometimes leak inside. It is possible that instead of leaking fluid it's only sucking in air. I'd start with the cheap way, bleed the system after checking for leaks. Inspect the clutch pedal, make sure it comes all the way up and is in alignment with the clutch pedal pushrod. Inspect the firewall for flex around the clutch master cylinder. Have an assistant push the pedal in and out over and over while watching for firewall movement around the clutch master cylinder area. The flex won't be as bad as if the clutch was working correctly. If it's determined that the system is working properly and the pedal needs adjustment, this can be done by unbolting the nut from the pedal lever that the pushrod attaches to. It's pressed on so it will be hard to pry off but it will come off. Hold the pedal all the way up and bolt the lever back on with it in alignment with the pushrod. Be sure the system is working properly before trying this, it shouldn't be necessary to do this unless the firewall has pushed out some like mine did. Be certain to pull the pushrod off and check the alignment before doing this adjustment.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:29 AM

ok here is what i found, bled the clutch worked fine for about 6 hours,then went back to where it was before. went to work and saw some fluid on the ground looked underneath and the bell housing is wet, does this mean it is the slave cylinder or master, should i just replace both, and if anybody has a link on how to to this procedure with as little damage as possible where i can understand it (i am a backyard mechanic) i would really appreciate it thanks guys
Old 11-06-2008, 03:15 AM
We'd do it

Fluid from the bellhousing is the slave cylinder. You will have to pull the transmission.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:40 AM

alright guys i appreciate all the help i replaced the slave cylinder(fun filled day) clutch seems to work now, but it seems i just cant get the clutch fully bled i did what i could and seems to work but there is still a little play in the clutch pedal is there a certain procedure to bleed than lets say your brakes, am i missing a step in bleeding thanks again guys
Old 11-17-2008, 08:51 PM
We'd do it

They're just a pain to bleed. Read this thread:
https://www.f150forum.com/showthread...leeding+clutch
Old 11-17-2008, 08:59 PM
CTD

You might replace the master also

Quick Reply: clutch pedal problem