Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Cleaned TB/new TPS/New gasket/idling high now

Old 09-28-2015, 07:57 PM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Cleaned TB/new TPS/New gasket/idling high now

95 f150 5.0L 2WD
So I replaced my TPS, to removed the TB and cleaned it up. I did not remove any of the springs. It was dirty behind the plates. Got that all cleaned up. Cleaned inside the IAC area. IAC is new 2 months ago. New silicon vacuum lines that go behind the IAC. New coolant hoses that leads to TB on the side and bottom. Cleaned up upper intake manifold as far as my hand could reach. INstalled a new TPS

Now I'm idling high at gear (at a stop light) and on P. I can move forward without any pressure on the accelerator when on drive.

This makes sense since more air, will give me more combustion. The TPS I got is the non-adjustable Motorola but it kinda moves a little, maybe about a 1mm or so. I can't take an accurate reading right now using the paper clip method.

I tried removing the battery for a few minutes to have the computer relearn.

Anything else I should look into?
Old 09-28-2015, 08:47 PM

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

You need to verify the voltage on the TPS before moving on to anything else. If that's good, what PCV valve are you using? Mine had a high idle using an Oreilly valve but as soon as I installed the Motorcraft valve it went down and smoothed out.
The following users liked this post:
ericantonio (09-28-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 08:51 PM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by VickMacky
You need to verify the voltage on the TPS before moving on to anything else. If that's good, what PCV valve are you using? Mine had a high idle using an Oreilly valve but as soon as I installed the Motorcraft valve it went down and smoothed out.
Thanks, I'm still learning how to back probe and/or piercing method. I'm using a paper clip right now and I can't get a good reading. It reads super low. So I'm sure my testing is questionable.

I'm also pretty sure I'm probing the correct wire. According to this:
http://easyautodiagnostics.com/ford/...sensor-tests-2
I'm to test the black wire with the red lead and black to battery ground. I'm getting .3 all the time so I think I'm not probing enough.

I did not replace the PCV valve.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cleaned TB/new TPS/New gasket/idling high now