Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

chips and cold air intakes

Old 05-06-2008, 11:48 AM
When in doubt, floor it

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default chips and cold air intakes

Would a hypertech chip or a cold air intake do any thing for a 95 150 with the 351 and exhaust?
Old 05-06-2008, 12:15 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Well, it will do something...but how much HP gain are you looking for? A cold air intake and chip will probably net you 40 HP. Cold air is good for 10-14 HP and chips are usually good for about 30-40 HP, depending on how aggressive its programmed.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:40 PM
none.

Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by blackoval86
Well, it will do something...but how much HP gain are you looking for? A cold air intake and chip will probably net you 40 HP. Cold air is good for 10-14 HP and chips are usually good for about 30-40 HP, depending on how aggressive its programmed.
that is not true. the older EEC-IV is quite antiquated by todays standards, the later EEC-V and SilverOak PCM can be optimized to get more power because of the accuracy of the electronics used.

He will NOT see a very substantial gain with his 351, I dont care what the advertisement says. the hypertech will go way rich on the bottom end and lean out on the top end, he will see maybe 10hp and probably lose a few hp on the top end.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by obusnizzle
that is not true. the older EEC-IV is quite antiquated by todays standards, the later EEC-V and SilverOak PCM can be optimized to get more power because of the accuracy of the electronics used.

He will NOT see a very substantial gain with his 351, I dont care what the advertisement says. the hypertech will go way rich on the bottom end and lean out on the top end, he will see maybe 10hp and probably lose a few hp on the top end.
Sorry...guess not everyone has access to a dyno like you.

Chips can vary because no two vehicles are alike, so it's impossible to say. I would agree however, that the advertised HP gain from a chip isn't what you're going to get in your application. They're closer to (and sometimes better) in today's vehicles because so much more is controlled then the computers of yesteryear. I'd stick to the old school basics on this one, help it breath better.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:26 PM
Love Ford or F*** Off

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where is a good place to get the chip for a 95 f150 5.8L ??
Old 05-06-2008, 01:59 PM
none.

Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

Chips can vary because no two vehicles are alike, so it's impossible to say. I would agree however, that the advertised HP gain from a chip isn't what you're going to get in your application. They're closer to (and sometimes better) in today's vehicles because so much more is controlled then the computers of yesteryear. I'd stick to the old school basics on this one, help it breath better.
think about what you told him. You stated that a 13 year old vehicle would see an increase in 40hp with what he wanted. That is patently false and does not require access to a dyno nor a snide holier than thou remark to substantiate.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by obusnizzle
think about what you told him. You stated that a 13 year old vehicle would see an increase in 40hp with what he wanted. That is patently false and does not require access to a dyno nor a snide holier than thou remark to substantiate.
What I told him was from my own experience. I've seen guys get 100 HP with similar setups and others only get 20 or below, why would I lie to the guy? I'm not a hypertech salesman! lol But the manufacturer claims that they've gotten 50, 80, and 110 HP on similar vehicles. While I've never received 100 HP from a chip, I know it can be done. Why is it unusual to have a moderate increase in HP in an older vehicle?
Old 05-06-2008, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by dustin9779
Ebay is sometimes a good place. Just gotta be careful who you're buying from, some guys screwed the product up while installing it and are now trying to get some money back because the manufacturer won't take it back. I had a friend though find a supercharger from a guy who was in a bind. He installed it and it's still running like a top. So you never know...
Old 05-06-2008, 02:49 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

You are so wrong its not even funny.
I do have access to a dyno, the best we have seen from a naturally aspirated motor was 45 hp after hours of tuning on a 5.4 3v. That old of a vehicle witll not see 40 hp no matter how agressive it is tuned.
Originally Posted by dustin9779
See my sig.
Ebay is sometimes a good place. Just gotta be careful who you're buying from, some guys screwed the product up while installing it and are now trying to get some money back because the manufacturer won't take it back. I had a friend though find a supercharger from a guy who was in a bind. He installed it and it's still running like a top. So you never know...
You need to get a custom burned chip to get the best from your truck.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:21 PM

lol ok man, just chill out. You're talking about a completly different engine design with the 5.4L 3V than the one Johnny spoke of. I've dealt with older vehicles all my life (year models from 65-2001) and I've gained 40 HP (at most, by the way...ya'll are freaking out thinking that it's typical) and I've had my brother get 80+ HP from a chip upgrade in a 1990 Nissan six banger...so yeah, older vehicles are capable of an increase of 40 HP, just not likely.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: chips and cold air intakes