Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Check Engine Light After Tune Up

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 02:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Check Engine Light After Tune Up

First let me say that I am glad I finally found this forum. Seems that us guys that like the older trucks are getting left behind by all the new shiny stuff. Eh, at least "we" can work on our trucks and not have to spend thousands at the dealer or some other garage.

Soooo..........

I just bought the truck last week

1994 F-150 Flare Side, 4.9L I6, 5 speed manual transmission, 6" rough country lift on 35" BFG's.

I noticed it was GUZZLING gas (even for the big tires) and could smell that it was running rich so I figured not knowing when it was done last I would change the plugs (motorcraft), wires (Pro Start), oil(Castrol Edge Full Synthetic High Mileage 10w30) and filter(Motorcraft).

Got all that done this morning and started the truck and all seemed fine. Left the house to go to Pep Boys to drop off the old oil and the check engine light came on about half way there. My immediate thought was . Got to Pep Boys, turned in the oil, got back in the truck started it up and no check engine light so I thought "woo hoo it was a fluke." Took off and as soon as I hit second gear the engine light came back on and my thoughts went back to .

The OBD1 scanner that I ordered hasn't arrived yet and I really don't want to fuss with the other method (Talk about a pain in the ****) so I thought I would post here and see if anyone had any ideas.

I currently have the battery disconnected in order to "clear" the computer (still hoping it's a fluke). Will see what happens when I head out to the movies tonight.

I will post an update here later.

Any ideas anyone can provide would be much appreciated.

Disconnecting the battery for an hour didn't do any good. Same situation.

Last edited by ROBS94F150FLARESIDE; 07-23-2017 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Update
Old 07-28-2017, 05:58 PM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

Pull the codes to find out what set it off. If disconnecting battery doesn't work to clear (helps to touch neg and pos terminals together-no need for hour wait) then start EEC codes and remove jumper wire (paperclip) any time during EEC Readout, this resets the codes.
The following users liked this post:
ROBS94F150FLARESIDE (07-28-2017)
Old 07-28-2017, 08:56 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

Agree that if the computer has flagged a problem, best bet is to have a look at what it caught (pull the codes) - saves a lot of time and money over best-guessing and shotgunning parts and related wasted efforts at the problem.
Offhand, if the vehicle is otherwise running fine, would suspect an EGR system fault - bad sensor, bad valve, or bad solenoid supplying vacuum to the valve - a troubleshooting adventure in itself - but that's just my opinion.
If you can't wait for the scanner to arrive, consider the 'other' method being a pain in the **** may be the better alternative than the pain in the wallet that may result from guessing... :-)~ Additionally, maybe check with some of the chain parts stores - many offer to pull the codes for free, and perhaps they will have an old Ford OBDI scanner from days gone by collecting dust in their drawers...?
Good luck, and keep us posted.
The following users liked this post:
ROBS94F150FLARESIDE (07-28-2017)
Old 07-28-2017, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by wde3477
Agree that if the computer has flagged a problem, best bet is to have a look at what it caught (pull the codes) - saves a lot of time and money over best-guessing and shotgunning parts and related wasted efforts at the problem.
Offhand, if the vehicle is otherwise running fine, would suspect an EGR system fault - bad sensor, bad valve, or bad solenoid supplying vacuum to the valve - a troubleshooting adventure in itself - but that's just my opinion.
If you can't wait for the scanner to arrive, consider the 'other' method being a pain in the **** may be the better alternative than the pain in the wallet that may result from guessing... :-)~ Additionally, maybe check with some of the chain parts stores - many offer to pull the codes for free, and perhaps they will have an old Ford OBDI scanner from days gone by collecting dust in their drawers...?
Good luck, and keep us posted.
According to tracking info, scanner should be here tomorrow. Not something that has to be fixed as I have a second vehicle to get around in day to day. I checked with all of the parts stores in my immediate area and none of them had OBD1 scanners hence my ordering one. Of course Both Ford dealers in town had one but they both wanted $150 to scan the computer.

Once the scanner gets here I'll see what codes pop up and start working from there.

I will keep you guys updated on progress.

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:49 PM

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

X2 on pulling codes
Old 08-05-2017, 05:43 PM

So, the scanner finally got here last week and I ran the codes. Got a 111 on the KOEO so I ran the KOER. Came back with a 311 which I expected as there is no Catalytic converter on the truck. Also came back with a 332 (insufficient EGR flow detected). So, I went to the parts store bought an EGR, position sensor and new gasket. Got home and took the vacuum hose off the EGR and discovered a hole. My next thought was, "Well, got to replace that I wonder if any of the others are bad?". So I started the truck, stuck my head under the hood near all of the sensors and sure enough hissssssssssssssssss. So I figured lets go for the cheaper of the two fixes and replace all of the vacuum hoses to those sensors etc. Did that and sure enough no more check engine light. Still getting the 311 code though. Planning to have the catalytic replaced though as I am quite tired of the "diesel" sound under acceleration and tired of smelling the gas fumes.

Now, I am trying to decide if I want to do a muffler delete when I have the catalytic replaced or if I want to put some sort of performance muffler on and keep the throaty rumble that I like. Not sure what kind of muffler is on it now.

Any suggestions?

Oh, BTW, while I was out on my post repair test drive I got my ego stroked by a group of bikers as they eyeballed the truck. Just what I needed as the buyers remorse was beginning to set in in my mind. It has been purged as of now though. Thanks to those guys.

Going to install some new mirrors on the truck tomorrow. I will be sure to post pictures when they are on. Getting rid of the sport mirrors and going to the other style. Can't remember what they are called. I refer to them as towing mirrors?

Last edited by ROBS94F150FLARESIDE; 08-05-2017 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention something
Old 08-05-2017, 07:42 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

Always good to get feedback on what problem was found, and the solution.

Somewhat biased here, but have thought that the Gen 7, 8, and 9 body styles were clean, simple, no-nonsense, and sharp. Some things are classic, some things are just old - suggest these vintages fall into the 'classic' category! :-) For comparison - I view the Gen10 ('97-'03) rounded Taurus-styled era - bleccchhhh.

Suggest to research whatever exhaust mods you choose to make, looking for feedback and reviews. Just my opinion of course, but the majority of 4.9's I've heard with non-stock muffliers/exhaust systems end up sounding like nothing more than unhappy John Deeres...
Old 08-05-2017, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by wde3477
Always good to get feedback on what problem was found, and the solution.

Somewhat biased here, but have thought that the Gen 7, 8, and 9 body styles were clean, simple, no-nonsense, and sharp. Some things are classic, some things are just old - suggest these vintages fall into the 'classic' category! :-) For comparison - I view the Gen10 ('97-'03) rounded Taurus-styled era - bleccchhhh.

Suggest to research whatever exhaust mods you choose to make, looking for feedback and reviews. Just my opinion of course, but the majority of 4.9's I've heard with non-stock muffliers/exhaust systems end up sounding like nothing more than unhappy John Deeres...
I would say that with the cat gone on mine it sounds like a severely pissed off John Deere.

As for body styles I haven't really been a fan of anything newer than the 96's. Not sure what the truck designers at Ford have going through their collective heads these days. I agree with you though and would go so far as to say Barf! I would have to say that the big 3 have gotten away from what a truck is supposed to be. It seems to me that most trucks these days are nothing more than gloried family haulers. I know if I had the money to go out and buy a new truck I would be terrified to take it off the pavement for fear that something might rattle right off in the first 1/4 mile. God forbid you get mud on something like that.

Me, I'll stick to my old made of steel trucks. No shoddy aluminum and plastic for me. NO OFFENSE TO THE LOVERS OF ALL THINGS NEW AND SHINY.