Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Champion radiators

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 01:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Champion radiators

Hey all, does anyone know or have experience Champion Radiators? I seen someone talking about them on another forum. They have a 3 core and a 4 core. What are the pros and cons to having one or the other? The price point is real nice at $270. They also have an upgrade option for 16" electric fan ($49.98) or 14" dual fans ($93.96). A fan set up from flex-a-lite cost around $450 I believe. Wondering what people thought who have used these before. re interested. The link below is for the 3 core and 4 core. Click on which one you want more info about.

http://www.championradiators.com/for...ator-1985-1996
Old 12-06-2014, 04:54 AM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

Aftermarket fans tend to be louder than the factory fans installed on most vehicles, just a FYI.

4 rows would be total overkill on these trucks, really 3 rows are overkill unless you live in the desert and pull your mobile home around daily. A 2 row rad will stay cool without a fan on (mine only gets turned on when I sit with it running for 10+ minutes after a long drive or hauling) unless you are working the engine very hard. Even towing a heavy load a 2 row rad won't have a problem keeping the engine cool with airflow from driving, add a fan into the mix and your golden. Guess I'm saying that you probably wouldn't ever have the "need" for a 3-row rad, save yourself a $100 and get a 2-row all aluminum one then you can use what you saved for your e-fan, new coolant, and maybe a water pump or heater core or new hoses. There was a thread a couple weeks ago about a good one from an ebay seller, several people on here have one and are happy with it, think it was only like $160 shipped.

Save yourself some money and keep the engine quieter by grabbing a fan off of a sedan, along with some relays and a housing unit. <$20 for a tenp sensor/controller from auto zone and you won't even spend what they are charging for their single fan. Got a dual fan off an 04 sebring, it's quiet, keeps it cool, haven't had a single issue with it. Followed unit505 on the mopar fans and they are the perfect width for our rad's, I had to trim the mounting brackets off one side but wouldn't have been able to use them as they were directly below the rad cap.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:10 AM
Chief Mystic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was active on the other thread.

Long story short: go with a 3 row All Aluminum radiator that requires no changes (bigger means you have to move things in the block, replace all your hoses and clamps, and your stock fans will do fine.

These things run way cooler than most big engines I have worked on. Even towing up a mountain, Heat is not a problem.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:35 PM
Oooo a Custom Title.

Received 108 Likes on 73 Posts

I have a 3 Row Champion and to be honest even with my engine build it's almost overkill. Also my E-Fans almost never run unless I have A/C on.

Quick Reply: Champion radiators