Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Busted fuel line?? Help!

Old 02-15-2018, 11:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Busted fuel line?? Help!

Hey all

So I’ve got an 87 f150 XLT Lariat with the 302 in it. I had the engine up a couple inches to do the oil pan gasket and I guess when I had it up, I busted the fuel line going between what I assume are the fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator? It’s the one going up into the engine compartment. Not sure but I do know I’ve got gasoline spraying from it onto the exhaust when the truck is running. I’m needing to fix this but I’m not sure from where I could get a new line, I’m not even sure if I could get a new line.

Thanks a ton for the help in advance

Michael Lewis
Old 02-16-2018, 10:12 AM

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

inlinetube.com should have what you need, and I have used their stuff, it is top notch
Old 02-16-2018, 12:03 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Posting pics would help us help you. Click these & read the captions:

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

The hard nylon tubing is designed to be spliced simply by forcing it over the appropriately-sized hose barb, so you should be able to cut the leak out and find a steel/brass barb union at a parts or hardware store, or online.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Steve83
Posting pics would help us help you. Click these & read the captions:

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

The hard nylon tubing is designed to be spliced simply by forcing it over the appropriately-sized hose barb, so you should be able to cut the leak out and find a steel/brass barb union at a parts or hardware store, or online.
Here are a few pics of what's cracked
Its this yellowed plastic looking thing thats spraying fuel
Looks like its going into the pressure regulator(?)
Old 02-16-2018, 04:51 PM

That's the inner hard nylon fuel tube where it's pressed onto the barb of the quick-connect. If it's too brittle or short to cut clean & push back onto the barb (heat will help), you can just buy more tubing by the foot, CAREFULLY remove the old tubing from its fittings at each end, and install new tubing onto the original fittings. I wouldn't use a knife to remove the old tubing - you might cut the barbs (even the metal ones), creating a permanent leak. I'd use a heat gun & a pick, if possible. To install the new tubing, I'd put the fittings in the freezer overnight, mount one in a vise, heat-gun the tubing slightly to soften it JUST A LITTLE, and then quickly force it onto the barb. If it kinks, I'd start over (including the freezer). But you might find you can simply press the room-temp tubing onto the room-temp barbs with just a little clean motor oil. With this smaller tubing on my lawn mower, I didn't even need oil:

(phone app link)
Old 02-16-2018, 08:34 PM

So I need to get hard nylon tubing to replace it? Is there a link you can send me to the parts I'm in need of? Or pictures so I can find them at the auto parts store?
Old 02-16-2018, 10:07 PM

Yes, my previous post has a pic with info in the caption. You just have to get the right size (I.D.) of tubing.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:36 PM

Now I've got a crack in the fuel line going to what I think is tge tank selector unit?? Pics are attached. Do I just fix it the same?

Its this green line

Cracked and spraying fuel

Old 02-18-2018, 10:16 PM

Of course. Sounds like you need to buy a spool of that tubing so you can replace it all before the truck catches fire.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Steve83
Of course. Sounds like you need to buy a spool of that tubing so you can replace it all before the truck catches fire.
That's pretty much what I'm thinking at this point

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Busted fuel line?? Help!