Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Blinkers won't work...fuse blows immediately

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Blinkers won't work...fuse blows immediately

So... my blinkers stopped working late last night. When I pulled the fuse this morning it was blown so I replaced it and it blew immediately when inserted.

I just don't know enough about electrical to know where to begin. Can anybody help please?

Here are the details:

1991 f150 4x4
All lights work (taillights, headlights, marker lights, brake lights, etc.)
Blinkers do not operate
Hazards do not operate. However, when I pull the hazard switch to turn the hazards on they illuminate as if I am stepping on the brake pedal... they just don't flash
Flasher is new, but maybe I purcgased a faulty flasher?
Blinker fuse blows immediately upon installation

Any help or expertise would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 01-24-2013, 02:44 PM
November 2011 TOTM Winner

Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts

Pull the flasher out and put a new fuse to see if it blows.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have any added lights to that circuit? Like extra blinkers or something? If you do you could easily be overloading the fuse ie youre adding too much amperage. If not you probably have a short somewhere between the blinkers and the switch. If you wiring has gotten to hot or been rubbing against a part somewhere it more than likely wore the insulation off or melted it and is shorting it on the body or something. I would try to test with a multi-meter if you can. As stated above, take out the blinker and see if it pops again. I'd imagine it wont but who knows.
EDIT: Sorry, just saw you got a new flasher. What is the bulb rating? You may have gotten to hot of a bulb for that wiring.

Quick Reply: Blinkers won't work...fuse blows immediately